The unofficial mantra around these parts is just get two points. It doesn't matter how you do it, just get two points.
Tonight the Blues got the two points in an ugly, ugly game. This was honestly the worst I've seen the Blues play in some time, but hey two points.
The biggest reason the Blues now have an NHL-best 97 points? Jaroslav Halak. The Blues unquestioned No. 1 goaltender stood on his head. He had two killer saves on odd-man rushes and, with the help of the God wand of Alex Pietrangelo, was able to keep the penalty kill streak alive.
It wasn't pretty, it wasn't that much fun but it was a win. Two points, friends. Two points.
Let's fire off some bullets.
- If you have any doubt that Jaroslav Halak is the No. 1 guy, you haven't been paying attention. Ken Hitchcock can play dumb and say it's a tandem, but I bet the on-fire Halak starts at least five games on this seven-game road trip.
- Back in January, some rival fans said they needn't worry about these Blues. Come March, they said, the road would eat them alive. How does 6-1 sound?
David Perron loves scoring goals. His giggle after his odd shot was just the best.
- Some people are afraid to say it, but I'm not. The Blue Jackets are a rivalry. It's obvious that they don't like the Blues and the Blues don't like them. Every game is filled with chippy play, hits, fights, and all sorts of nastiness. Remember how when the Blues sucked, they still got up for games against the Red Wings? Same thing with Columbus. They will give the Blues EVERYTHING they have for 60 minutes. It's fun beating them.
- That said, the Blues really need to not make it so hard to beat teams they should beat. Eight penalty kills? That's about eight too many. The team took 12 the entire six-game roadie. Clean it up, boys.
- Speaking of the penalty kill, with the 8-for-8 showing today, the Blues have now killed off 47 in a row. That's kinda impressive. The NHL record, by the way, is 53.
- I applaud the ex-Avs Chris Stewart and Kevin Shattenkirk dropping the gloves to defend their teammates, but dudes, you can't fight after clean hits and you can't instigate shit. Play smarter. The Blue Jackets WANT you guys off the ice.
- There was some pregame talk about the Blues' decision to sit Ryan Reaves in favor of Jamie Langenbrunner because the Blue Jackets were dressing Jared Boll. Frankly, it was the right call. The first place team shouldn't make roster decisions to matchup with the last place team. How often did the Wings dress a goon when the Blues were playing Cam Janssen? Besides, Reaves should be back in the lineup on Tuesday after B.J. Crombeen took four minors today.
- Speaking of Langenbrunner, this was a perfect game to get him back in the lineup. He's gonna be slow because he's old and rusty. On the second game of a back-to-back, everyone else is going to be a little slow. He was able to get his legs back tonight and should be ready for Chicago on Tuesday.
Blues take on the Blackhawks on Tuesday. See you then.
Take us home, DJ Khaled.