Hockey is back, and therefore I have a fuck-ton of links. So let's get started, shall we?
- In case you missed it on our Breaking News line . . . the Blues pushed back tomorrow night's start time to 7:30pm CDT thanks to Game 1 of the National League Division Series between the Cardinals and Pirates. A wise move. [Blues]
- Jeff Q. goes over the five most ridiculous Blues items on shop.nhl.com. Or categories. Whatever. It's a great read. [SLGT]
- #BluesProtest? Well, we pretty much shut it down before it started, but CrossCheckRaise decides to douse the motherfucker in kerosene and strike a match, and I can't say I blame him. [SLGT]
- The call went out to subscribe to St. Louis Game Time: The Paper recently. dvdrvhs FanPosts his Top 11 reasons to get a subscription. [SLGT]
- Speaking of the paper . . . no link, but this is VERY important . . . the staff is organizing a "memorial" for King Of All Vendors, John Nicolay, by having a beer in his honor near his old post at 14th and Clark tomorrow night before the game, likely in the City Hall parking lot. Please join them. And Goddamnit, I wish I could join them too. RIP, John.
- Shitloads of previews and predictions! We'll start with Puck Daddy, who predicted the two Eastern Conference divisions . . . [Puck Daddy]
- . . . and the Western Conference divisions (Note: everyone has the Blues finishing 2nd to the Blackhawks, except Dobber, who has the Blues 4th behind the Wild(s) and Stars . . . interesting) . . . [Puck Daddy]
- . . . and then the whole fucking enchilada is predicted here. They're really high on the Sharks, and none of them picked the Blues so I don't have to beat the shit out of any of them, thankfully . . . [Puck Daddy]
- . . . and of course some off-the-wall predictions (including Wyshynski saying the Blues are the most overhyped team, which I guess I can't disagree with). [Puck Daddy]
- III Communication has some predictions as well. The bit about Barret Jackman is fucking hilarious, mind you. [III Communication]
- And Nick Cotsonika went over the top 10 Stanley Cup contenders, with the Blues checking in at number six. [Y! Sports NHL]
- Last night's results (Maple Leafs over Canadiens, Blackhawks over Capitals despite a Mikhail Grabovski hat trick, Jets over Oilers) . . . [NHL.com] . . . and tonight's slate . . . [NHL.com]
- Three Stars, as the Father of Puck speaks of them. [Puck Daddy]
- Scary moment in Montreal as George Parros went down face-first during a scrap with Colton Orr, who called for the trainer immediately. Parros is concussed. [The Sporting News]
- Phil Kessel ain't got shit to worry about anymore. He's got an eight-year contract worth $64MM. [SB Nation]
Hal Gill was on a PTO with the Flyers to be a
traffic pylondefenseman. Guess he won a job, as he signed a one-year deal with Philly. [Flyers]
- The Buffalo Sabres aren't done making stupid ass decisions this offseason . . . they named team star Thomas Vanek and team head shitstain Steve Ott Co-Captains. No way this goes wrong . . . or, ALL the ways this could go wrong are popping into my head. Whatever. [CBS Sports Eye On Hockey]
- Sean McIndoe (Down Goes Brown) goes over the best slogans for the Teemu Selanne Farewell Tour. #TeemuForever [Grantland]
- For whatever reason, Chris Chelios - who is on the Red Wings payroll - was asked to be an analyst on Fox Sports Live. And he predicted that the Red Wings would win the Stanley Cup. IMAGINE THAT. [Awful Announcing]
- An NPR reporter was asked by the Capitals not to ask any questions about Russia's anti-gay law to Alex Ovechkin in a recent interview. The reporter asked anyway, and Ovechkin answered the question without being a dick about it but without really answering anything. [Deadspin]
- Max Domi makes father Tie proud by throwing a forearm into an opponent in his season debut with the London Knights. Suspension coming, most likely. Classy. As. FUCK. [Y! / Buzzing The Net]
- RealBadRobot sends this post about the many stories passed around regarding the making of "Under Pressure", the 1981 Queen hit that featured David Bowie. This post also has the isolated vocal track of Bowie and Freddie Mercury, and lemme tell you . . . it is creepy as all fuck. [Dangerous Minds]
- 500 beers on one poster? I MUST HAVE IT. [Pop Chart Lab]
- Vikings have been long thought to be barbarians, but recent research shows they may have been more complex than originally thought. [Y! / The Sideshow]
A while back, Mental Floss did a video on alcoholic drinks. I somehow neglected to post it because I was PROBABLY drunk.
LET'S GO BOOZE!
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
Beyond Checkerdome Episode 11 posts today with a guest. And we're gonna be on iTunes and shit soon, so hooray to that!
Also, Randall has info on the St. Charles Chill later today, so check it out.