Last night was the kind of game where the team is completely right in refusing to celebrate after scoring a goal. That was what you call business as usual.
More business tonight, but first, LINKS!
- The Good Guys orchestrated a 4-0 win in SoFlo last night. Ashley, aka, ExtremelyCrappyDroid recapped the game so YOU DON'T HAVE TO! [SLGT]
- For a view from the other side, here's the recap from the Sun-Sentinel. Here's an interesting stat they bring up: the Blues have killed off the last 30 penalties against the Panthers. Considering how seldom we play each other, that could date back several years! [Sun-Sentinel]
- At first, I thought this may have been Dan O'Neil's masterpiece, assuming you think of him as the Dr. Horrible of leads. Then you keep reading to find out it's true(ish), which is both slightly disappointing and fantastic. [STLToday]
- Rob brings you a Blues corsi dashboard that will be updated regularly. [SLGT]
KNOW YOUR ENEMY - TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING:
- St. Louis'
TallestFavorite Son Ben Bishop backstopped the Lightning to a 3-0 win over Carolina last night. [Raw Charge]
- Other than Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis, the 'Ning forward group has been pretty invisible, so they've decided to shake up their lines. [Tampa Bay Times]
- This article is a few months old, but it's a pretty interesting idea: what would it take for Central Florida to host the World Juniors? [Raw Charge]
- Other teams played last night, though apparently not the Flyers. [NHL.com]
- 13 games on the docket tonight, including a few pretty juicy matchups such as Leafs at Canucks, Coyotes at Sharks, and Habs at Avalanche. [NHL.com]
- Paul Holmgren, GM of a Flyers team that lost 7-0 at home last night to an Ovechkin-less Capitals team, says he understands the "Fire Holmgren" chants. But apparently Ed Snider doesn't, because he's still paying him to manage generally. [Broad Street Bull]
Kari Lehtonen staked a pretty damn good claim to Save of the Year last night to keep his team within a goal in the 3rd, helping the Stars eventually steal a charity point from the How-Are-They-Still-Not-Terrible-Yet Avalanche. [Puck Daddy]
- Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin both signed twin (get it?) 4-year, $28 million extensions to stay in Vancouver yesterday. [SBNation NHL]
- Speaking of the Canucks, the British Colombians will retire Pavel Bure's number this afternoon. Leading up to the event, a Nucks fan ruminates on the Hall of Famer's legacy in Vancouver. [Nucks Misconduct]
- The Avalanche see Vancouver's number retiring of a Hall of Fame goal scorer and try to raise them a future Hall of Pretty Damn Good for a Few Years and Then A Lot of Solidly Decent Years I Guess defenseman, as they will raise Adam Foote's 52 to the Pepsi Center rafters. I don't think the Avs know how poker works. [Denver Post]
THINGS THAT AREN'T HOCKEY BUT THAT YOU MAY WANT TO READ ANYWAY IF YOU WANT TO BE A WELL-ROUNDED INDIVIDUAL:
- Johnny Jet, a travel blog, chronicles a flight unlike most - one which brought home the remains of a fallen soldier. Stick tap to Ashley, aka, ExistingMisbehavedCylon. [Johnny Jet]
- You probably knew that Jerry Jones is a dick, but you may not have known that because of his dickishness, Tom Landry - who in many eyes is still to this day the face of the Dallas Cowboys - died as a fan of the New York Football Giants. I was raised as a Cowboys fan, so thank god that my grandpa didn't live to hear this news and my father has no idea how to use the internet, because this would probably give both of them a heart attack. [Deadspin]
- FACT: Way more people know who Belle from Beauty and the Beast is than who Marie Curie is. But what if she and other great women in history were Disney-fied? [Women You Should Know]
- I don't expect this to mean anything to more than maybe 8 of you, let alone excite anyone as much as it does me, but I don't care - Mitch Hurwitz, the creator of Arrested Development, aka, The Greatest TV Comedy Ever Written, will have a guest role on Community, aka, The Third Greatest TV Comedy Ever Written, when the show comes back in January. If Tina Fey somehow makes an appearance, I will liz myself! [Vulture]
- The mascot of the Denver Nuggets, Rocky, was lowered down to the court from the rafters last night. On the way down, the man inside Rocky apparently passed out from the heights. Reports say he's okay. [Buzzfeed]
Now that you know that the Philadelphia Flyers lost 7-0 last night at home, I'll give you 3 guesses as to what else happened. ......If your first answer was "Line brawl with a goalie fight," congratulations, you've been paying attention to the last 46 years of Flyers hockey. If your first guess was anything other than a line brawl with a goalie fight, your hockey fan card has been temporarily suspended.
Yet again, Ashley, aka, TrulyNaughtyCyberman comes through in the clutch with yet another example of why Halloween kicks every ass in the history of forever - a sportscaster in Boise, Idaho dressed as Ron Burgundy for the 6:00 news and did the best Burgundy impression since that one guy from SNL. As someone whose high school spoke in Anchorman quotes 80% of the time (the rest were Mean Girls quotes), I just have to say: I'm very aroused.
Ashley, aka, Non-fictionalizedAwful80sdance, earned a shit ton of brownie points today. You've got some catching up to do, my friends! Do so by sending me some awesome shit:
- jasonmcadams1120 AT gmail DOT com
The Note are back at it tonight in Tampa. The puck drops at 6:00 central, so get your asses ready by reading everything else we'll have for you today.