Okay, I'm done speaking French today. I think.
- The Blues played like relative horseshit for about half the game but still ended up taking the Canadiens to a shootout and winning the game thanks to T.J. Oshie and his Magic Stick of Tricks. No, not that one. [Blues]
- But while many of us believe the Blues played a bad game, theactivestick over at Eyes on the Prize shows in their recap that the Habs couldn't really keep up with the Blues AND made some odd personnel choices. [Eyes on the Prize]
- Before the game, Hildy shared her thoughts on GameCenter Live. [SLGT]
- Scores from last night. A good mixture of ass-kickings and close affairs. And the Sabres won a game that they technically lost. Wait, what? [NHL.com]
- Four games tonight. The Wednesday Night Rivalry game pits two teams in the fucking horribly named "Metropolitan Division". [NHL.com]
- Team Slovakia unveiled their hockey jerseys for Sochi 2014. Their sweaters feature stripes . . . that have the Slovakian national anthem on them. GODDAMNIT TO FUCKING HELL, WHY DIDN'T THE UNITED STATES DO THIS?! [Deadspin]
- Former NHL goaltender and current goalie coach of the Coyotes, Sean Burke, shits all over Ray Emery and his "toughness" in light of Friday's clown show. Hear hear, Sean. [FS Arizona]
- According to a report, the Avalanche (s) traded Steve Downie to the Flyers not just because they thought they were getting a good deal in Maxime Talbot . . . no, apparently there's a side story to it. And it has nothing to do with Semyon Varlamov, as it turns out. Gabriel Landeskog? Oh yeah. Him. [CBS Sports Eye On Hockey]
- Are the Ducks for real? One person says . . . no. [Puck Daddy]
- Noted Devils fan Greg Wyshynski remembers Jason Arnott (and his ruggedly handsome face) (and his ruggedly ugly attitude, at the end of his time with the Blues), who officially announced his retirement yesterday. [Puck Daddy]
- Taylor Fedun, who broke his femur in a horrific incident a couple years ago, made his NHL debut and scored a goal last night in the Oilers' 4-3 overtime victory over the Panthers . [Oilers]
- Speaking of perseverance, Manny Malhotra scored the overtime winner in the Hurricanes' 2-1 victory over a sordidly hapless Flyers team. [Charlotte News & Observer]
- The AHL's Rockford IceHogs, affiliate of the Blackhawks, got horrible feedback on their "Los IceHogs Night" last season. So what are they gonna do? Yep. Again. [Puck Daddy]
- Meanwhile, in the ECHL . . . the Bakersfield Condors, affiliate of the Oilers, are putting the Gettysburg Address on their sweaters. Whatever the reason is, that is fucking awesome. (More Condors later. No, seriously.) [SB Nation]
- "I'm gonna tell you somethin' about me, Joe Rogan, that you might not know . . . I smoke rocks."[Gawker]
- Elections happened yesterday. Among them, a referendum in Houston that didn't pass may lead to the demolition of what was once known as "The Eighth Wonder of the World" . . . the long-dormant Houston Astrodome. [SB Nation]
- In what HAS to be the "most Kentucky story ever" (and yeah, I think I can say that . . . I have family there) . . . a high school runner dropped out of a state regional race because her racing bib number was 666, the mark of the devil. [Deadspin]
- A 1953 Triumph motorcycle was stolen from a backyard in Omaha, Nebraska in 1967. 46 years later . . . it's about to be sent back to its' rightful owner. [Y! / The Sideshow]
I think this might've been posted in a previous incarnation of the links, but fuck it, I'll do it again . . . the Bakersfield Condors got a live condor to come to their arena a couple years ago. The results were hilariously awful. Have a look:
IT'S A BIRD! IT'S A . . . YEP, IT'S A BIG ASS BIRD!
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
Beyond Checkerdome Episode 16 goes up today. We do NOT talk about last night's game, but we sure as shit talked about a lot.