I spent the first period doing some Christmas shopping last night, then I stopped into a Bandana's for the 2nd and listened to the radio driving home in the 3rd - moral of the story: Christmas shopping sucks.
- Despite playing a godawful first period and finding themselves down 3-1, the Blues came back to beat the Blue Jackets in Ohio last night 4-3 in overtime. Ashley, aka, SincereLastnight'sfirstperiodInspectorGadget, posted the game highlights, but if you want a fuller recap from someone who was actually able to watch it, here's the P-D's too. [SLGT; STLToday]
- Here's an interesting and surprising stat: last night was the first time in 37 games that the BJs have lost in any fashion when leading after two periods under current head coach Todd Richards. That and more in the Columbus perspective's recap. [Columbus Dispatch Blue Jackets Xtra]
- Chris Stewart is starting to get hot, and he's putting in the extra work to make sure he stays hot. [STLToday]
- Last night was the 3rd annual St. Louis Classic, and everyone was there: Stillman, Hullie, Jamal Mayers, Charles Glenn, even Louie. Here's some photographic evidence if you doubt my claims. [Blues]
- Here's a Game Time equivalent of a golden oldie - Childhood Trauma dug up an old piece he wrote back in 2005 about Bill Laurie, aka "B.L." entitled, How the B.L.inch Stole Hockey. It's good to remember how far the Blues have come since those dark days. A must read if you have the time. [Hockey Rants]
- AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, the Blackhawks lost to the Maple Leafs 7-3! AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! There were other games last night too, but mostly AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! [NHL.com 12/14]
- Six games today, with the most noteworthy being the LA Kings against the team that gave up 7 goals to the Maple Leafs. [NHL.com 12/15]
- "[Shawn Thornton's actions] cannot be described as a hockey play that went bad, nor do we consider this a spontaneous reaction to an incident that just occurred." The Bruins enforcer received a 15 game suspension for his assault of Brooks Oprik last weekend, which if you ask me is pretty light for a "premeditated sneak attack/slewfoot/non-consensual face pounding (with gloved hands) while the man is laying on the ice, because of the slewfoot" combo. Oh, and people saying he should've gotten off easier because it was his first offense, you sound like George Bluth* - which I'm usually all for, but not so much here. [NHL Department of Player Safety]
*I would link to that scene, but for some reason not every line of Arrested Development is available as a YouTube clip.
- The Penguins-Red Wings game last night had quite a few noteworthy moments. First of all, Pittsburgh's Deryk Engelland received a match penalty and will have a Player Safety hearing for this hit on Justin Abdelkader...[SBNation NHL]
- ...then Lance Cpl. Chris Marr surprised his parents with a military homecoming, which he followed up by proposing to his girlfriend - well done, sir, well done!...[Puck Daddy]
- ...then in the 3rd period, Evgeni Malkin took a really awkward slide into the end boards and had to be helped off the ice. Hope all is good for Geno. Ultimately, the Pens won 4-1. [SBNation NHL]
- The Bruins played in Vancouver last night for the first time since game 7 of the 2011 Cup Finals, but the Canucks won 6-2, which I assume means that they are now the 2011 Stanley Cup Champions. Congratulations, Vancouver. [TSN]
- HBO's 24/7: Red Wings-Maple Leafs Road to the Winter Classic debuted last night. My favorite characters so far are Dion Phaneuf's bow tie, Mike Babcock's backwards chair, and Randy Carlyle's inability to work a toaster. Here's what WiiM thought of it all. [Winging it in Motown]
- JP Nikota of PPP looks at a very interesting question that most sports fans have asked themselves at some point in their lives (some every goddamn year): how long does it take to "rebuild?" Did I mention that the Maple Leafs beat the Blackhawks 7-3 last night? [Pension Plan Puppets]
- Friend of Game Time Megalodon invented a new card game version of hockey because that's what people do when they don't have to dig their car out of snow because they live in stupid California. It actually sounds pretty fun, but would be even better with an alcoholic consumption aspect. [Battle of California]
VARIOUS LINKS OF A NON-HOCKEY NATURE:
- Find out which NFL games are on in your neck of the woods. Rams are at home but have a late game anyway. [506 Sports]
- If there is one thing I learned about girls in college (and let's be honest, I learned exactly one thing about girls in college), it's that they love to dress like Han Solo. This guy caught on to that too. [Metro]
- You think people in St. Louis don't know how to handle a little snow fall? This week it snowed in Cairo, Egypt - as well as other parts of the Middle East - for the first time in over 100 years. [Huff Post]
- It's that time of year again - to see a top ten list of everything imaginable from 2013. But I'm not going to link you something so obvious. So here's a list of the Top Fifteen episodes of TV of 2013. Number one might legitimately be the best episode of television ever written. [Indiewire]
The Blues finished off a great comeback win last night, and as Parks & Recreation taught us, everyone loves a good come back story! NSFW
Ok, that was hilarious, but it didn't have enough Amy Poehler. Let's fix that!
"He's a Hasidic Jew, he doesn't want to sing about Jesus!"
Maybe it's just my lifetime of singing in choirs, but it astounds me how that many people didn't know those carols. Oh well.
Tomorrow is Monday, so all those links you didn't send me today? Send them to Tyler!
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
It's also Prospect Sunday, the most comprehensive coverage of the Blues future talent pipeline you'll find anywhere outside of Doug Armstrong's hard drive! So stop on back to enjoy Brian's great work.