- Before the game, the Blues announced that Alexander Steen would be put on IR due to a concussion. Though, he IS exercising. On a side note . . . the team recalled Sergey Andronov on an emergency basis, then "sent him down", then recalled him again. Weird happenings, I bet. [SLGT]
- The odds were seemingly stacked against the Blues last night with injuries, but they came through, coming back from two-goal deficits thrice to beat the Blackhawks 6-5 in a
dance-off rave party clay-shooting competitionshootout. What say you, FakeSpectacularHomonid? [SLGT]
- Dmitrij Jaskin netted his first NHL goal in the game. But I thought he did his best work BEFORE the game . . . with this tweet, after his Czechs beat Canada in the WJC's (more on that later). #SuckItCanada [Twitter / @DmitrijJaskin]
KNOW YOUR ENEMY--THE DALLAS STARS:
- By now, you may or may not be familiar with our friends at Defending Big D. There won't be a quiz later. But if you're interested in the Stars' point of view, please, by all means . . . check 'em out. [Defending Big D]
- Scores. Eight games were played, but I already told you about the most important one. [NHL.com 12/28/13]
- Ten games today. One of them is in Dallas, I hear. [NHL.com 12/29/13]
- Bruins defenseman Dennis Seidenberg is out for the season with multiple ligament tears in a knee. I'd say this hurts Team Germany in the Olympics, but Team Germany isn't PLAYING in the Olympics . . . in hockey, anyway. [Bruins]
- In a story confirmed by HBO's 24/7 series, Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman and Captain Dion Phaneuf will be getting an extension of 7 years, $49MM very soon . . . with the lone sticking point being a no-movement clause. [SB Nation]
- The Puck Daddy staff gives their predictions for the Team Canada roster. Not surprisingly, everyone picks Alex Pietrangelo and Jay Bouwmeester to make the team (except for Ryan Lambert, who put an absolute joke of a roster up because #USABestHockey). [Puck Daddy]
- Rochester Americans goaltender Connor Knapp tweeted out a pic of the remnants of the last cup he used. It . . . uhhh, didn't make it. [Deadspin]
- Last night in the WJC in Malmo, Sweden . . . Russia beat Switzerland 7-1 [IIHF] . . . Sweden beat Finland 4-2 [IIHF] . . . The Czech Republic beat Canada 5-4 in a shootout (!!!!) [IIHF] . . . and USA beat Slovakia 6-3 [IIHF] . . . . Two games today.
- You have a wide open soccer goal and you're standing one yard away from the goal line. How do you miss? Like this! [Deadspin]
- I've found my new license plate. (S/T to I_AM_SPARTACUS) [Facebook / "Police Blotter"]
- Don't come home without beer on Christmas, or this bitch will stab you with a ceramic squirrel. [Y! / AP]
I'm never against posting a video featuring Jason Arnott, because the dude is ruggedly handsome and shit. This one's cool, though. You learn how to say "Let's Go Blues" in sign language. (S/T to RealBadRobot):
My mother knew a good amount of sign language. It's a shitload more fun than reading lips, I tell ya. I wish I'd pursued it.
Anyway . . . send me some links and videos and shit, eh?
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
And come back later for an abridged Prospect Sunday and some shit about tonight's game in Dallas.
LET'S GO BLUES.