What do you do when the high temperature is in the single digits and the low is close to -10? What any red-blooded American would do . . . drink beer, watch football and record a hockey podcast. FUCK YEAH. (And yes, it's been THAT cold in Missoula . . . but everybody got a cold snap, it seems.)
Now, your Monday gets better because you get to click on things:
- Prospect Sunday! Brian fills us in on the latest happenings in the minors, Major Junior, NCAA, overseas, who's trending up, what's upcoming and his latest draft info. [SLGT; SLGT; SLGT; SLGT]
- CanesAndSLGT] Fan muses on Corsi and estimation error. [
- Speaking of cold, the Blues play the Jets in Winnipeg tomorrow night. Look at how fucking cold it's gonna be in the 'Peg! Holy shit. [The Weather Channel]
- And as alluded to earlier, CrossCheckRaise and I recorded Beyond Checkerdome yesterday (twice, actually), where we discussed the Blues' 1-2-0 week last week, beer and the incidents of Saturday's Bruins-Penguins tilt. Should be posted Wednesday.
- Scores. Two close ones and three relative blowouts. [NHL.com 12/08/13]
- Tonight's games. Four of them. All pretty much "meh" and no Central Division games. [NHL.com 12/09/13]
- SBN's Andrew Berkshire posted some power rankings on Thursday. I'm pointing it out now because he had the Sharks at number one, and since then they've lost three straight, including last night's loss to the Wild(s) in Minnesota. But do you see Sharks fans hitting the panic button? NOOOOOOOO. [SB Nation]
- Jason Zito of the wonderful Predators blog On The Forecheck used his teaser space to beg for change. Even if that includes getting rid of Barry Trotz, who's been with the Perds for-Goddamn-ever. [On The Forecheck]
- We know Shawn Thornton gets an in-person hearing. James Neal? He just gets a phone call for KNEEING A LAYING PLAYER IN THE FUCKING HEAD. The Department of Player Safety, everybody! [NHL.com]
- But wait, there was MORE from that game! Chris Kelly will miss 4-6 weeks after (it appears) getting slashed by Pascal Dupuis, breaking his right fibula. [NESN]
- And more bad shit for the Bruins! This time, delivered unto Kevan Miller by Dion Phaneuf. Yep, you're getting a phone call, Dion. [Puck Daddy]
- Two terms the Rangers do not need to hear together: "Marc Staal" and "Concussion-Like Symptoms". Poor guy. [New York Daily News]
- A Quebec minor-pro player got a nasty, nasty cut from a skate to the face. NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH!!!!! (And, perhaps, not safe for work.) [Puck Daddy]
- The Broncos beat the Titans at home yesterday, 51-28 but while that was impressive, it wasn't the big story . . . kicker Matt Prater broke the long-standing field goal distance record of 63 yards, with a 64-yard field goal to close the first half. The air is thin in Denver, but it was 18 degrees (and dropping) at kickoff, so this was Goddamn impressive. [Kissing Suzy Kolber]
- Meanwhile, over in jolly ol' England, Newcastle United beat Manchester United 1-0 on Saturday, marking the first time the Magpies had won at Old Trafford since 1972. MY GEORDIES!!!!! Proud of those lads. [Chronicle Live]
- Some dumbass at the Belton, MO Sonic thought it was a good idea to put up this racist sign at their entrance. Disgusting fucks. (They later apologized.) [Deadspin]
- New, young romance means wanting to be complicit in a murder together, apparently. Psychos. [Y! / Reuters]
More Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole for you. A few repeats from the Top 10 video posted last week, but some new stuff too:
GET OFF THE ICE, YA LITTLE BRAT . . . !!!!!
Got links and videos to send me? Of course you do. Let me know about them! Two easy ways:
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
And stay warm, kids.