I've been gone a few days and a lot of shit happened. Let's go to work.
- The Blues came into Sunday's draft with six picks. They traded some away and ended up picking four guys. Brian has profiles on Thomas Vannelli, William Carrier and St. Louis-born Zach Pochiro. (Not much is known about Santeri Saari. Yet.) [SLGT]
- The Blues made qualifying offers to most of the likely RFA suspects (including Alex Pietrangelo, Chris Stewart and Jake Allen) and though they also qualified Kris Russell, they did waive him, meaning he will likely not be back with the team. [SLGT]
- Lots of news, but the biggest story is that the City Council of Glendale, AZ are apparently okay with hemorrhaging money for another 15 years, by way of a 4-3 vote. [Sporting News]
- The Blackhawks did a lot of stuff. They overpaid for Bryan Bickell, traded Dave Bolland to the Maple Leafs and sent Michael Frolik to the Jets. [Twitter/LeBrun; Puck Daddy; Puck Daddy]
- The Penguins signed Kris Letang to a big extension and also kept Pascal Dupuis. [Penguins; Penguins]
- The other team in Pennsylvania will also need to shed cap space, as a few days after using its' amnesty buyouts on Daniel Briere and Ilya Bryzgalov, the Flyers signed Vincent Lecavalier. Also, the Flyers have no goalie right now and are over the cap. #HolmgrensShrooms [Broad Street Hockey]
- The Islanders did work too, buying out Rick DiPietro (finally) and trading Nino Niederreiter to the Wild for Cal Clutterbuck. [Newsday; Puck Daddy]
- Hal Gill is tall. And . . . he's tall. And now, he's been waived by the Predators. [Tennessean]
- Sergei Bobrovsky has gone from Flyers backup to Vezina winner to paid. The Blue Jackets gave him a two-year deal. [Columbus Dispatch / Blue Jackets Xtra]
- The Flames traded a draft pick for Calgary native T.J. Galiardi. [Puck Daddy]
- The MLB's substance policy applies to umpires too. Just ask Brian Runge, who got fired for failing a drug test. [Deadspin]
- A teacher in Dallas wore the same outfit for yearbook picture day 40 years in a row. No longer, though, as he has retired. [Y! / The Sideshow]
So that, hopefully, will continue happening.