It's supposed to be hotter in Montana today than my hometown. God I can't wait for winter.
- I'd somehow missed this about the Blues Elite Hockey Academy coming up August 26-29. [Blues]
- Hildy talks with Dirk at On The Forecheck in her "Meet The New Central Division" series about the Predators, whom admittedly we're quite familiar with. [SLGT]
- The Blues were the featured "30 In 30" team at NHL.com yesterday. They're optimistic about the team's chances this season. Because they're optimistic about EVERYONE. Duh. [NHL.com]
- Lou Korac writes that with Derek Roy now in the fold, Chris Stewart could be the team's X-Factor next season. Hey, I've heard that one before! [Blues]
- NHL.com's list of the Top 10 Blues prospects has Dmitrij Jaskin up top. [NHL.com]
- A report surfaced that the Stars had offered a contract to Evgeni Malkin at some point, and since Malkin has never NOT been under contract with the Penguins, this would be tampering. The Stars deny the charge. [Dallas Morning News]
- Somehow, Zdeno Chara taking a picture with Marian Hossa and shaking hands with his fellow countryman next to the Stanley Cup is a story. They've both won the Cup, one more recently than the other. No one fucking cares. [Puck Daddy]
- Despite considerable evidence to the contrary, Chris Nilan says he never gave a Stanley Cup ring to Whitey Bulger. Uh huh. [Deadspin]
- Eric Comrie, Jets goalie prospect and a hopeful for the Canadian World Juniors roster, unveiled a very American mask for next season. [In Goal Magazine]
- The "National Hockey League of Nations" series at Puck Daddy has been pretty brilliant. Though you can leave it to The Royal Half to find a way to shit all over this brilliant idea. Which . . . yep, that happened. [Puck Daddy]
- Due to a technical error, two men with the same name won jackpots at a Cincinnati casino. This is why YOU CHECK THE ID'S, you dumb fuckers. [Y! / The Sideshow]
- The Cardinals won in extra innings over the NL Central-leading Pirates (sounds weird, eh?) last night, thanks in large part to this Starling Marte error, captured in GIF form. [SB Nation]
- Speaking of shit that sounds weird . . . the hottest team in baseball right now? Yes, the Kansas City Royals! Of course, this makes Kate happy, but man, this alternate universe is FUCKED. UP. [Deadspin]
Speaking of Kate, she passes along this video - found at the Huffington Post - displaying exactly how they put out fires in the great Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Why bring a water tanker when you can waterbomb the motherfuckers?
That . . . may possibly be a literal fuck-ton of water.
Episode 4 of Beyond Checkerdome comes at you this afternoon. And as a spoiler . . . it may be our best episode yet. Tune in!