I hear a good defenseman got a good contract yesterday.
- That good defenseman was . . . Jay Bouwmeester . . . Alex Pietrangelo's top-pairing partner got a five-year deal worth $27MM, or nearly $1.3MM less per year than his current contract, which expires after next season. Army is fucking brilliant. [SLGT]
- Hildy also had a piece comparing Pietrangelo to Zach Bogosian and confirmed what everyone probably knows (or wants to hear) . . . Bogosian doesn't really compare to Pietrangelo. [SLGT]
- CrossCheckRaise passes along a great read from Jason Gregor. In it, Ken Hitchcock notes that he wants to get the Umlaut Overlord, Magnus Pääjärvi--a large young man with great straight-line speed--to "play through people". I. Love. That. [Oilers Nation]
- In the biggest #NoShit decision of the offseason thus far . . . the Red Wings will retire the number 5 of Nicklas Lidstrom next season, ahead of a March 6th home game against the Colorado Avalanche. [Red Wings]
- Brandon Davidson and his teammates talked about Davidson's battle with testicular cancer and to get back on the ice. [Oilers]
- T.J. Brodie got a two-year extension with the Flames. Not sure he's worth that kind of money, but whatever. [Flames]
- UIWWildthing delivers . . . STICKY BACON BREAD. HO. LEE. SHIT. [Oh Bite It]
- The MLS says they will add four new teams by 2020. St. Louis is thought to be a frontrunner, and the fact that St. Louis has no MLS team YET is a testament to how fucking stupid the people with money in St. Louis are. (That last part . . . merely my opinion.) [Deadspin]
- "Supernatural" star Misha Collins tweeted out his phone number the other day . . . [Twitter / @mishacollins] . . . and, not surprisingly, he got a lot of calls and texts. [Twitter / @mishacollins]
Kate presents this video of a child who has a demented way of naming toys. Check it out.
And people think grown-ups are sick and perverted.
Oh, and I DO have a guest links master for next week. I'll let you know who that is . . . tomorrow.