I'm going to try to keep my face away from walls today. The Kings are in town, and they tend to make me bash my face into said walls.
- Jaroslav Halak will be in goal when the Blues square off with the Los Angeles Kings tonight. Also, Jordan Leopold will draw back into the lineup and Ian Cole will sit next to Carlo Colaiacovo and eat all the hot wings. [In The Slot / Lou Korac]
- Win two tickets to tonight's game from the Toast Dispatch! You have until 12:30pm CST. If you can't make it to the game, remember that you'll be watching it on NBC Sports Network, not Fox Sports Midwest. [SLGT]
- Beyond Checkerdome Episode 26 posted yesterday. We discussed the week gone by, the Olympic rosters and other assorted silly ramblings. [SLGT]
- The Blues will appear in New Haven, CT next Friday for "White Out For Mandi", an event to raise funds for the Mandi Schwartz foundation. Mandi, as you might know, is the late sister of Blues forward Jaden Schwartz and played for the Yale women's hockey program. (S/T to hildymac) [Yale Athletics]
- Former Blue Jamie Langenbrunner officially announced his retirement yesterday. I honestly had no clue he hadn't . . . y'know, ACTUALLY retired yet, so this was a surprise. [NHLPA]
KNOW YOUR ENEMY: THE LOS ANGELES KINGS:
- We'll start with what you might already know . . . the Oilers made a couple deals yesterday, one of which was acquiring Kings backup goaltender Ben Scrivens for a 3rd round pick. Martin Jones has been recalled (again) to replace him and will be in St. Louis to back up Jonathan Quick this evening. [LA Times]
- For Kings-centric news and insight, check out Jewels from the Crown. [Jewels from the Crown]
- For everything about hockey in the State of California, check out the Battle of California and all their awesome pictures and shit. [Battle of California]
- Three games last night. None of them ended in ties because FUCK GARY BETTMAN. [NHL.com 01/15/14]
- Eleven games tonight. I hear the best one is in St. Louis. Because of course. [NHL.com 01/15/14]
- The reason the Oilers traded for Scrivens, as noted earlier? A bit of a surprise . . . the Oilers sent Devan Dubnyk to the Predators for the albatross that is Matt Hendricks' contract. [Oilers]
- Some hot takes in Ryan Lambert's Puck Daddy Power Rankings. SPROTS. [Puck Daddy]
- Bobby Ryan took Brian Burke's criticism of him a bit harshly. But what has Bobby done since the Olympic snub? Well, basically . . . uhh, nothing. One of my fantasy teams concurs. [Senshot]
- A Swiss team put transparent (basically, plexiglass) boards on their outdoor "Winter Classic"-esque rink. I say that would be great for North American versions of the outdoor game concept if it can be done safely. Surely, with advertising space lost, local businesses would disagree. But what say you? (Check out the poll at the end of this post.) (And if your answer is "zOMG WE NEED AN OUTDOOR GAME IN SAINT LOUIS!!!1", start showing up to Blues home games at the Scottrade Center, asshole.) [Puck Daddy]
- The dump-and-chase strategy is basically being destroyed by mathematicians. Thank fucking GOD. [SI NHL]
Bryan Bickell had a hell of a playoff run last season. He got a big contract from the Blackhawks because of it. And he's not living up to it. Shocking, I know. [Second City Hockey]
- As a quasi-hipster, I thoroughly enjoyed these NFL Logos as Hipsters. [Kissing Suzy Kolber]
- This reminds me of an old Far Side cartoon. [Y! Odd News]
Peyton Manning is the greatest. Here, he explains his constant yelling of "Omaha". Except he doesn't:
And a reminder . . . if you're rooting for the Patriots this Sunday, you're rooting against America.
My links week is done. J-Mill takes the reins tomorrow. Send him your schtuff:
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
Check back later for more excellent stuff from our crack staff of awesome. And if you're at the DrinkScotch this evening . . . remember to #RockTheScott . . . and also, don't forget to pick up a copy of Game Time: The Paper from your (friendly?!) vendor. Oh, and tip your vendor too, you cheap asshole.
LET'S GO BLUES.