My thoughts exactly.
Have I mentioned how much I hate the Goddamn Motherfucking LA Kings? Or how I've officially changed their name from the LA Kings to the Goddamn Motherfucking LA Kings? Because both of those things are true.
- First, the big, much more pleasant news: for the second year in a row, St. Louis Game Time has been named the "F"-word blog that said "hockey" the most often. ...I'm sorry, what's that? We're the hockey blog that said "fuck" the most often? When did we switch? In any case, I'm just glad I could play a small part in helping us achieve this prestigious honor. And my mother told me that swearing about hockey on the internet would never amount to anything. [Battle of California, the Swearing Silver Medalists Two Years Running]
- Marginally more important, the Blues lost last night to the Goddamn Motherfucking LA Kings 4-1. Here's your
anger aneurysmrecap by Ashley, aka, SubstantiallySadMO. [SLGT]
- Here's the Goddamn Motherfucking perspective of last night from Jewels from the Crown, who seems to think that Jake Muzzin won't get a call from Brendan Shanahan for leaving his feet to go after Vladimir Sobotka's head. Good luck with that. [Jewels from the Crown]
- Have you ever thought "You know, I wonder how Bryce Salvador and other former Blues are doing this year," but then thought "fuck that, I don't want to research it myself," then you're in luck! Hoosier Blue did the work for you, and will keep it updated throughout the season. So there you go, you lazy sons of bitches. [SLGT]
- Did you know: every Blues game at Scottrade has at least 11 medical professionals on site? Learn some more about the physicians from Washington University at Barnes Jewish Hospital that are ready to get the Blues fixed up and back on the ice as soon as possible. Think of it as a painkiller to make you feel better after last night's game. [Barnes Jewish Hospital]
- This is literally self-serving, but on Tuesday I bought a '70s era white Blues jersey, and I can't decide which player from that era I want to put on it. Help me out with a poll below. I'm leaning more towards specifically the 70s as opposed to the 80s, but Bernie and Brian wore this style of jersey for a while too, so I included them as well.
- There were eleven games last night, and get this: eleven winners. Conspiracy? I'm not saying no...(yes I am). [NHL.com 1/16]
- Only two games tonight, but brace yourself for an epic Capitals-Blue Jackets match-up! Oh, and I guess the top two teams in the standings are playing, if you care about the Ducks and the Blackhawks. (But seriously, hopefully the Ducks score another 9 in Chicago then come in to town tomorrow night tired as shit.) [NHL.com 1/17]
- The Predators' Carter Hutton made maybe the most ridiculous save I've ever seen. I have a tendency to make hyperbolic statements, but I don't think that's an overstatement at all. If you click one link this morning, A) I guess I wasted quite a bit of time on the rest of these, but B) make it this one. [Puck Daddy]
- Sean MnIndoe, aka, Down Goes Brown, hates the charity point and you should too. If DGB doesn't convince you, this should: if there were no loser points this year, the Central Division would go from Chicago ahead by 2 points to the Blues leading the way by 4 points. [Grantland]
- Vladimir Putin plays a little hockey, but apparently not enough to know how to put on a helmet. [SBNation NHL]
- The Preds played the Flyers last night, which of course made Philly fans wax nostalgic for the 14 days that Shea Weber was kinda-sorta a Flyer before Nashville matched the offer sheet. And by "wax nostalgic" I mean "say stupid shit on Twitter," which should be obvious since I'm talking about Philly fans. J.R. Lind kept track of them all. [III Communication]
- The Academy Awards announced the 2014 nominees yesterday morning, with American Hustle and Gravity - two movies I felt were pretty overrated (though the acting in AH is fantastic) - leading the way with 10 nods each. June Squibb, who was nominated in Outstanding Supporting Actress for Nebraska, is actually a St. Louisan whom you may have seen on stage at The Muny in the past. I still have a few big ones left to see, but honestly I don't know how anything this year could top Her. Here's the whole list of nominations. [Variety]
- You may have heard that the Chicago Cubs recently introduced a new mascot, to much bemusement on Twitter and Deadspin. But let's be real, teams don't have mascots for Twitter and Deadspin, they have them to entertain kids. With that in mind, Sporting News' Justin McGuire asked his 10-year old son Cameron to rank all of the mascots in the Major Leagues. I'm a little hurt that Fredbird didn't do so hot, but at least he kicked Clark's ass. Plus it's hard to argue with number one. [Sporting News]
- It seems we haven't heard the last of the Polar Vortex. Apparently, it'll be coming back down to us once again next week. Make sure your tires are ready, as are your eye-rolls for idiots who use snowfall to say global warming is fake. [The Wire]
- If the extreme Arctic blizzards do return next week, perhaps we should take some snow-clearing lessons from this guy. Step 1: just use a fucking flamethrower. [Lolsnaps]
Although I do think Her is the best movie I've seen this year so far, there's only one Oscar category I'm emotionally invested in this year: Best Song. Take it from someone who's spent most of their life in musical theatre: "Let it Go" from Frozen is not only the best Disney song in years, it's the best executed musical number in any movie - live action or animated - since "I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" from Dreamgirls. Plus the composer, Robert Lopez (well known for Avenue Q and The Book of Mormon; both of those links are NSFW BTW, and both are about as far away from a Disney Princess cartoon as you can get) is an Oscar shy of an EGOT. EAT IT, BONO!!!
New age video games just can't hang with the old school classics. Now there's proof.
Musical theatre snobbery, the Oscars, and video games...if you don't send me anything, I just give you guys stuff that I like and want to share. In other words, if you don't want to eventually see exactly how much of a nerd I am, send me shit.
- jasonmcadams1120 AT gmail DOT com
Get yourselves prepared for tomorrow night's Ducks game. If we can't play like we did last night and beat the Goddamn Motherfucking LA Kings, how do you think it'll look if we do that against the good Southern California team?