I'm not worried because we've lost 7 of 8 against the three very good California teams so far...I'm worried because in NOT ONE of those 7 losses have the Blues even been competitive. Six of them saw us down by 3-0 - or worse - in less than a period. It's one thing to lose games against some of the best teams in the league, even if you consider yourself among the best as well. It's another thing altogether to look borderline inferior 7 out of 8 times. I don't care how optimistic or even-keel you might be, that's not "having an off night" and it may not even be as simple as "buying in," there's a legitimate problem, and it's going to bite us in the ass at some point if we're not careful.
But that's in the past now, so fuck it - have a light set of Sunday clickables!
- The Blues played lazy hockey through the first two periods, then fought back in the third and nearly tied it before falling to the [OPPONENT'S TEAM NAME]. Copy & paste. Here's how Norm Sanders saw it. [BND]
- Here's how those Quack-head Ducks fans saw it. They're in a better mood, I'm sure. Also, they feel the need to censor themselves saying "bitch." Weirdos. [Anaheim Calling]
- Craig Custance chronicles Brian Elliott's journey from depth AHL signing to Jennings Trophy winner to his current needs-to-prove-it-in-the-playoffs self. Sticktap to CrossCheckRaise. [ESPN]
- Your scores from yesterday. [NHL.com 1/18]
- Today's schedule, with three games including Blackhawks-Bruins in an NBC matinee. [NHL.com 1/19]
- Some...uh...shit went down in the Canucks-Flames game...a line brawl & Torts trying to go after the Calgary coaches...yeah, check out Torts being a crazy motherfucker. [Puck Daddy]
- The Lightning and the Sharks put on a show, with Martin St. Louis scoring four goals in less than 11 minutes of game time, followed by Joe Pavelski notching a natural hat trick himself to bring San Jose back to win 5-4. [Fear the Fin]
- After J.R. Lind debuted the new Conference III round table feature yesterday, modeled after The Royal Half's similar weekly Pacific Division posts, The Royal Half decided to "send" a cease & desist. The legal representative of Conference III, a combination of Atticus Finch and Boss Hogg, responded appropriately. DonutKing gets props for bringing it to my attention. [III Communication]
Inspiration is an odd thing and can come when you least expect it, especially for songwriters. Here are some stories like that.
Tyler is back tomorrow, so send his your shit.
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
It's prospect Sunday, so check up with what Brian's been working on.
Oh, and for today at least (and hopefully the next couple weeks), I love the Denver Broncos just as much as DK. Here's hoping they beat the cheating scum Patriots and that the 12th Man in Seattle causes another earthquake, but this time it's one that swallows every member of both the 49ers and Seahawks. Ideally, saving Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll for last so they can watch everyone else fall to their doom first. Seriously, fuck those guys.