Don't you just hate it when your game plan runs to shit?
- Vladimir Tarasenko had the flu and didn't play, but three defensemen scored goals, including another one by SIR JAXX!!!!!!! . . . and Jimmy Howard was pulled for one of various reasons (but probably a knee injury, but he might've had the shits or been embarrassed by the fact that he allowed a goal to Barret Jackman) in a 4-1 victory over the Red Wings at the Joe last night. Fuck Detroit. RBR has been having computer issues lately, so you get a recap from the NHL on the Blues' website. Blues play tonight in New Jersey. [Blues]
- In another round of his analysis of Jaroslav Halak vs. Brian Elliott, Robb tracks whether or not the competition has actually been stiffer for Halak than it has been for Elliott, or if it's just perception. [SLGT]
- Hoosier Blue continues running down former Blues to see how they're doing. [SLGT]
- This is the best FanPost we've seen in 2014 so far. Our pal, Crazy Art Lippo, wrote an open letter to Ken Hitchcock before last night's contest. [SLGT]
KNOW YOUR ENEMY--THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS:
- For everything you need to know about the New Jersey Devils, be sure to check out In Lou We Trust. And tell them how much of an asshole Judge Houston was. [In Lou We Trust]
- Also, this piece has some great information on the Devils, including some interesting quotes from Lindy Ruff and Randy Horachek regarding the team's style of play. And an interview with Travis Zajac to boot. (S/T to David Kerans, who sent this to me himself. Thanks man!) [The Voice of Russia]
- Seven contests yesterday, and they all had results. Some were shittier than others for certain teams. [NHL.com 01/20/14]
- Ten games tonight, but for us, all eyes will be on the one in Newark. [NHL.com 01/21/14]
- Flames coach Bob Hartley did not escape punishment for his role in Saturday's brouhaha in Vancouver. He was slapped with a $25,000 fine, basically for the joke of sending Kevin Westgarth to take the opening faceoff and telling people it was because he was "working hard". Yeah, fuck that noise, Bob. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- Meanwhile, Canucks coach John Tortorella was slapped with a 15-day suspension (that's six games, for those wondering) without pay for being a jackass about Bob Hartley being a jackass. So hey, I guess Bob Hartley did his job. [SB Nation]
- And the news only gets worse for the Canucks . . . Vancouver's star center, Captain and half of the creepiest twin duo in hockey, Henrik Sedin, will be out tonight. That'll end his iron-man streak of consecutive games played at 679. For those wondering . . . yes, Jay Bouwmeester still has the longest streak currently going. [USA Today]
- Battle of Cali's Megalodon runs down his top five tweets of the week. (S/T to CrossCheckRaise, and this will probably be a weekly feature that I always link to now) [Battle of California]
- The Flyers signed Sieve . . . errr, I mean Steve Mason to an extension over the weekend for Halak money. And Ryan Lambert laughed. That and more in this week's What We Learned. [Puck Daddy]
- Instead of reviewing the week that was in Conference III with a bunch of redacted words . . . inspired by the recent play of his favorite team, the Dallas Stars . . . Obscene Alex decided to create a new trophy for the team who most exemplifies the traits of the worst of the Conference . . . ladies and gentlemen, the Conference III Crown of Shit. [III Communication]
- Don't look now, but the underperforming Columbus Blue Jackets of the early season have turned into Card contenders! Seven reasons why. [Puck Daddy]
- Edmonton Oilers owner Darryl Katz tries to calm the masses with words of encouragement. I will guess they fell on deaf ears, because this franchise's fan base is beyond restless at this point. [Oilers]
- Among those expected to be in attendance for the Stadium Series game at Chavez Ravine . . . Will Ferrell and noted Blues fan Jon Hamm. [The Hollywood Reporter]
OTHER SHIT (NONE OF IT BELONGING TO JIMMY HOWARD . . . HOPEFULLY):
- A lot of #People had #Opinions on the #Internet regarding Richard Sherman. Well, Will Leitch pretty much encapsulates everything I would say if I were as smart as he was regarding the instantaneous lightning-rod cornerback following the Seahawks' victory on Sunday. [Sports on Earth]
- A medical examiner in Wisconsin pleads guilty to bringing bones from cadavers he worked on home with him to train his dog. Psycho. [Y! / Reuters]
- This speed skater apparently is one of ours. [Deadspin]
So I had a link earlier about Richard Sherman. In that link, this video--from March of last year, where he tore the insufferable prick Skip Bayless a new asshole--appeared (this also can be found in yesterday's links comments from baroose). And having nothing else video-wise, you're gonna see it again because this is nothing short of fucking brilliant:
Tell ya what . . . if I wasn't a Broncos fan, I'd totally root for the Seahawks just because of this guy. Fuck Skip Bayless. Talentless hack.
I'd normally tell you to send me shit to link, but given yesterday's circumstances, I'd rather you just send me links and videos:
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
And check back later for more about tonight's contest in Newark.
LET'S GO BLUES.