Oh hi, Mizzou fan. Sorry about your loss yesterd . . . oh wait, that was Auburn. Sorry. I didn't realize we were supposed to root for whole conferences now.
- Blues backup goaltender Brian Elliott was named the NHL's second star of the week. He'll start tonight in Edmonton. [NHL.com]
- Blues forward Vladimir Sobotka will go to Sochi to represent the Czech Republic. Defenseman Roman Polak, currently on IR, will not. You just opened the Roman Polak door, fuckers. [SLGT]
- CanesAndBluesFan analyzed and sorted out why it would probably be a dumb idea to bring in a high-priced free agent goaltender. [SLGT]
- The Blues look good at the halfway mark as far as projections are concerned. (S/T to simpson316 for this FanPost) [SLGT]
- Former Blackhawks anthem singer, and now Chicago Wolves executive and anthem singer, Wayne Messmer will help honor the people who saved him at an upcoming Wolves game. [DNAInfo Chicago]
- I've used this joke before, but fuck it . . . four scores that were not seven years ago. [NHL.com 01/06/14]
- Ten contests tonight. The furthest north will happen in Edmonton, and will be the only one you care about, I imagine. [NHL.com 01/07/14]
- Why does North America fail at international hockey . . . at least at the upper junior level? Well, Ryan Lambert has some ideas in his weekly What We Learned piece. (Also, video of Saturday's Maxim Lapierre goal.) [Puck Daddy]
- Top 13 sweater concepts of 2013. A few Blues ones in here, including the top one. [Icethetics]
- Also announcing their rosters yesterday were Slovenia (basically, Anze Kopitar and a cast of nobodies, with Kopitar's father as coach) and Switzerland (goalies, defense and fuck everything else). Everyone else posts their roster TODAY. [Puck Daddy]
- Another edition of Obscene Alex's [REDACTED] Conference III Week in Review! [III Communication]
- People named Tyler get suspended. Tyler Myers got three games for an illegal check to Dainius Zubrus. [NHL.com]
- Mikko Koivu broke his ankle and will miss a month. He could return in time for the Olympics for Team Finland, but will he play? That's up to the Wild(s). [Minneapolis Star-Tribune]
- Meet the man behind the creation of Taro Tsujimoto. If you don't know this story, read this piece. It is excellent. [Sports on Earth]
- Perhaps the greatest Portuguese soccer player of all time, Eusebio, passed away over the weekend. Fans in Portugal paid tribute on the day of his funeral by putting scarves on his statue in his honor. Beautiful. [Deadspin]
- Send alcoholics to prison? No? Well, put 'em to work and pay 'em in alcohol. That's what they're doing in Amsterdam. [Y! Odd News]
Dude at Norfolk Admirals game catches puck knocked out of play with one hand . . . WHILE HOLDING A BABY. You sir . . . win the planet:
So puck. Very catch. Wow.
Have you a link or a video to spare for the poor?
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
And check back later for some info regarding tonight's game between the Blues and Oilers in Ed-money.
LET'S GO BLUES.