Greetings, friends! Is your hockey team about to play the St. Louis Blues in a contest of ice hockey superiority? Well, gee, aren't YOU fucked these days!
Conference III owns.
- The Edmonton Oilers really, really did try. But the Blues followed their winning formula, getting stout defense from the whole team, stout goaltending from Brian Elliott and goals from several different players in a 5-2 win last night at Rexall Place. What have you, UnrealSpectacularLifeform? [SLGT]
- According to Sean McIndoe (Down Goes Brown), the Blues have "Hit the Right Notes" lately. Music puns! Anyway, he's right. Also has other things, but HEY, THE BLUES! (S/T to FlickAuVin) [Grantland]
- The rest of the Olympic hockey field released their rosters yesterday. We already knew about David Backes, T.J. Oshie and Kevin Shattenkirk (USA) as well as Vladimir Sobotka (Czech Republic). Yesterday, you could add Jaroslav Halak (Slovakia), Vladimir Tarasenko (Russia), Alexander Steen and Patrik Berglund (Sweden) . . . [SLGT]
- . . . as well as Alex Pietrangelo and Jay Bouwmeester (Canada). St. Louis, Chicago and Detroit are each tied for tops in number of Olympic representatives with 10 each. That ain't bad. [SLGT]
- See what you've wrought, J-Mill? More goalie options! This time, CanesAndBluesFan takes a look at Martin Brodeur, who is only one of the greatest goaltenders of all time (despite . . . well, some evidence to the contrary, as you'll see). [SLGT]
- Ten games were scheduled last night. I've already recapped the one you care about. One game (Hurricanes-Sabres) was postponed because HOLY SHIT IT SNOWED A LOT IN BUFFALO. [NHL.com 01/07/14]
- Wednesday Night Rivalry . . . Rangers hosting . . . the . . . Blackhawks? What the fuck ever, NHL. That, and two other games tonight. [NHL.com 01/08/14]
- Brayden Schenn: Hockey Player. [Deadspin]
- The top ten Team Canada snubs, according to Sean Leahy. [Puck Daddy]
- One of those snubs, Sharks forward Logan Couture, might have been left off the roster because he just had hand surgery and will be out for nearly a month. [CSN Bay Area]
- Greg Wyshynski and Harrison Mooney concoct Team S.N.U.B. - The Sovereign Nation of Unpicked Brethren. A pretty damn good team, heavy on North Americans. [Puck Daddy]
- Miss any Olympic roster announcements? Here's all of them. Austria, Slovenia and Latvia are . . . ummm, kinda light on star power, but boy, their top players are pretty good. [IIHF]
- Nothing says America quite like a Canadian beer printing beer cans with Team USA sweaters on them. #USAHockeyBest [CBS Sports Eye On Hockey]
- The winners and losers of this year's HBO 24/7. [Puck Daddy]
- Nigerian-born Akim Aliu, a former member of the Peoria Rivermen, has had an interesting path to professional hockey. He's currently with the Hartford Wolf Pack. [The Courant]
- Well, if you want to compare bad days, at least I hope THIS isn't happening at your place of business. [Deadspin]
- What's up with all these Goddamn food shortages lately? First it was Sriracha. Now, Velveeta is gonna be in short supply for a brief time. [Y! / Reuters]
The whistle blows. A dude goes crashing into the boards. Intentionally. Because he went for a cheap shot and missed. Watch:
Daniel Carcillo even thinks that move was tactless.
So hey, send me some linkage, kids:
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
Also, Beyond Checkerdome goes up later today. And it looks like J-Mill has something in the works over there, which judging by what's happened in the last week will surely cause us to look at forward options by trade or something, I dunno. Anyway, go check that out later this morning.