So yesterday's game was blacked out from GameCenter because . . . the NHL Network had the game on in the US. So even though the game was on Fox Sports Midwest, I couldn't watch it because it was nationally-televised and any nationally-televised game is blacked out. Since I don't have cable, I didn't get to watch the game properly. Instead, I found some live stream . . . and it had ROOT Sports (Penguins) broadcasters, which--if you ended up having to watch the game on NHLN--you got too.
If you want to talk about the most homeriffic broadcasters in the league, point to ROOT Sports. Let's put it this way . . . they make Jack Edwards look completely unbiased in comparison. I've heard some bad crews (the crews in Philly, Columbus and Detroit strike me as some of the most guilty), but hooooooooooooly shit do the Pens guys take the cake. So I muted the web stream and listened to the radio. I barely watched much of the game past the highlights and when one stream went down, the other stream didn't have mute capabilities . . . so I just listened to it.
This, all because of blackout rules. Blackout rules that exist despite paying for the fucking service. The ones that also ensure that I never get to watch an Avalanche(s) game here at my apartment.
NHL, your blackout rules--along with the fact that ALL of your streamed games on Roku are at LEAST 90 seconds off from live--are making me consider not paying for your product next year. Either show all the games (and perhaps, maybe, possibly work on getting the timing to sync up better, but that's not really that important right now) or don't ask me to pay for your fucking service. It is embarrassing.
I have a poll at the bottom for you GameCenter users. It closes when tomorrow's post goes up.
- The Blues followed an up-and-down performance that ended with a loss to the Flyers with a gritty, ballsy 1-0 win over the Penguins on Sunday. Lou has the deets. [In The Slot / Lou Korac]
- The win was thanks in large part to a ballsy effort by one Brian Elliott, and his reward was the First Star in Puck Daddy's NHL Three Stars. Well-earned. [Puck Daddy]
- Fourth liners on the power play? Hitch has hinted at it, as Hildy points out, because of recent amount of times the trio has possessed the puck in the offensive zone. [SLGT]
- Prospect Sunday! Brian looks at the week that was, who's trending up, what's going down next week and another look at "The '14 File". [SLGT; SLGT; SLGT; SLGT]
- Brian also has video of Bobby Shea fighting Ty Rattie, then trying to jump Rattie in the tunnel but being stopped by police. What a douche. Guy got eight games for this. He's not in Charlestown. [SLGT]
- Scores. Seven of them, but only one we TRULY care about and a few we . . . KINDA care about. [NHL.com 03/23/14]
- The sked. Six games. Only one most of us give a shit about would be the Jets-Stars game, and even then . . . meh. [NHL.com 03/24/14]
- Matt Stajan recently returned to the Flames after taking bereavement leave for the death of his newborn son. Saturday night, he scored a goal on a penalty shot (as part of a 4-point night). It was quite emotional not just for him . . . but for his whole team. [Puck Daddy]
- The Maple Leafs host the Blues tomorrow night. Last night, they lost their fifth straight . . . this one to the Devils in Jersey. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- Speaking of Canadian NHL teams and how shitty they've been . . . has this been the worst year ever for the NHL's Canadian teams? Harrison Mooney has a look. [Puck Daddy]
- The Blackhawks were shut out by the Predators at home, which puts them six back of the Blues with 10 to play. They also lost the Conference III Title Belt in the process. Also, Fuck Chicago. [NHL.com]
- Clenched assholes all around the wild card spots. It's the final push! [NHL.com Standings]
- A couple upstate Illinois lawmakers want to see if it's feasible for other Illinois schools to join the Big Ten. We can do that study for free, dickweeds . . . the answer is "no". [The Champaign Room]
- Stanford defeated Kansas, which I would normally not make light of, but it seems Mizzou fans gloat more after a Kansas loss than they do after a Mizzou win. So whatever, have your fun, dipshits. [SB Nation]
- The rest of yesterday's NCAA Tournament scores. Wichita State losing officially killed my bracket, which is fine since I didn't put any money on it. [CBS Sports]
Mental Floss has a roundup of 21 mind-blowing now-extinct life forms:
Tomorrow's my birthday, but I'm gonna link for you anyway because THAT'S THE KINDA GUY I AM, GODDAMNIT. Send me stuff:
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com