First and foremost, happy Mother's Day to all of our Game Time mommas out there! What better way for me to honor the day than by doing today's links, barely making up for the previous times I've disappointed you? (In this case, by failing to provide you with links the last couple days.)
Enjoy this morning's links, then give your mother a call. It's literally the least you can do.
- The Loser's Bracket, also known as the IIHF World Championships, added a couple Blues to the proceedings: Roman Polak and Vladimir Sobotka were chosen to represent the Czech Republic...[Frozen Notes]
- ...until Polak went down with a shoulder injury. He'll miss the rest of the tournament. [Frozen Notes]
- lostinthecrowd did a research paper for her English class on the subject of women in hockey, specifically in the NHL one day. Not only did she use some comments and help from around Game Time, but she even got to interview Pascal's sister Manon Rheaume, the first woman to ever play in the NHL! Give it a read - it's worth 30% of her grade! [SLGT Fanpost]
- Kahokamo created a new jersey concept for the Blues, and I have to say I kind of like where he's going with it! A real icy, chilly feel to them, without any yellow. Since some rumors sound like we're getting new threads anyway, I wouldn't mind something like this as a third set. [Icethetics]
- With the 2nd round nearly over, take a look back to see who's leading the SLGT Postseason Bracket Contest after the first round - I've even updated the rankings to add in a couple others tied for 7th. [SLGT]
- The Bruins scored twice on the power play (including one from Captain Awesome, Jarome Iginla) and beat the Canadiens 4-2 to go up 3-2 in the series. [Stanley Cup of Chowder]
- The big story of the evening (in the NHL, anyway) was in SoCal, where Bruce Boudreau decided to start the former World Junior Gold Medalist John Gibson (American Hero) in net. In only his 4th NHL start in his career & his playoff debut, he pretty much single-handedly led the Ducks to a 2-0 shutout win over the Kings. LA & Other-LA are now tied at 2 games apiece. [Anaheim Calling]
- Tonight at 6 the Penguins will try again to finish off the Rangers on Broadway, while game 5 of the Wild-Those Fuckers Up North series drops puck at 8. [NHL.com 5/11]
- You've likely seen this by now, but one of our SBN central division colleagues stepped down earlier this week - a standing ovation and stick-tap to Dirk Hoag of the Predators blog On the Forecheck, who's retiring after 9 years, making him the Chris Chelios of the hockey blogosphere. [On the Forecheck]
- Jarome Igninla, whom I previously alluded to as being awesome, may have left Calgary over a year ago. But that hasn't stopped him from still spearheading charities in the Albertan city. Awesome. Stick-tap to Ken Elliott. [Calgary Herald]
- I've already mentioned the World Championships more than I would've liked to, but anytime Canada loses, it's worth mentioning - especially to Cristobal fucking Huet and France! Ha-Ha! [IIHF]
- Which places on Earth have produced the most NHL talent? Ok, obviously Canada...I mean specific locations. Here's a map of every place on Earth NHL players have come from. BTW, Craig Adams is from fucking Brunei?!? What the hell? [Deadspin]
- A group of sports statisticians recently released a new "advanced stat" called ThoR (or Total Hockey Rating). And it's less accurate than the in-game player ratings on NHL14. It's not just hilariously bad, it's reputation-ruining bad. Lambert went to town on it. [Puck Daddy]
- The Rams - the team that broke the NFL's color barrier in 1946 - made sports and cultural history again yesterday by drafting Michael Sam out of Mizzou with their 7th round pick (249th overall), making way for him to become the first openly LGBT player in the NFL. If you haven't seen his reaction yet, boy is it a tear jerker. [Turf Show Times]
- He hasn't even officially made the team yet (though I'd say he probably will) and the demand for Michael Sam Rams jerseys are already "ridiculous." [Outsports]
- But Michael Sam wasn't the only story out of Rams Park yesterday. Kenny Britt's Instagram account all of a sudden posted a video of...well...straight up porn. There's no way to tell if it was actually Britt who actually posted it on accident (I'd assume) and it's impossible to tell if it's Britt in the video (unless you have more knowledge of his *ahem* situation), but it's there. Needless to say, NSFW. [Deadspin]
- Looking for a new crib in St. Louis? Then shake those couch cushions for that loose change, because Chris Carpenter's mansion is now on the market. The asking price: a mere $3.65 million. [Riverfront Times]
- Blowouts in baseball aren't anything new, but when you're up 17-1 after 5 innings, you can usually afford to let your foot off the gas. Unless you're the Burlington Bees, who earlier this week saw that very same 17-1 lead turn into a 20-17 loss in 12 innings. Good goddamn. A few sticktaps since a few people sent this one: UIWWildthing, DK, & Ken Elliott. [MiLB]
Happy Mother's Day. Here's a gift to one and all, but especially the mommas out there.
Tomorrow is Monday, so send your things to DK.
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com