So, we've now reached one of the awkward periods of the hockey calendar. The Kings have wrapped up the Cup, yet we're still a week and a half away from the NHL Awards show & two weeks until the draft.
- LA's Cup parade will be tomorrow. I hope it rains. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- In today's NHL, the Kings have provided the blueprint for building a championship team
without sucking for a decade straight & lucking into 2 Once-In-A-Generation talents. The good news: the Blues are built on a very similar blueprint...we're just missing those pesky "difference makers." ...stupid differences and the people who make them... [SBNation NHL]
- Canadiens head coach Michel Therrian has been extended for 4 more years, until 2019. If he survives the life of that contract, I will eat a bowl of melted crayons on a live YouTube feed. [Habs Eyes on the Prize]
- Looks like the Colorado Avalanche will be hosting an outdoor game at
Not-Mile High StadiumCoors Field. Unfortunately, it looks like it probably won't happen until the 2015-16 season...but you could be looking at the early stages of the Blues' outdoor debut. It might yet even be the 2016 Winter Classic! [Puck Drunk Love]
- The Arizona Sundogs, the Central Hockey League affiliate of the
PhoenixArizona Coyotes, are hoping to sell 300 new season tickets for next year. But no biggie if they don't - they'll just bury their owner & GM alive. [FS-Arizona]
- Down in Brazil, yesterday's quadruple header was brilliant, entertaining soccer for nearly 11 hours! Columbia thrashed Greece 3-0, then Costa Rica pulled a shocking upset over the reigning South American Champions Uruguay 3-1. Italy topped England 2-1 in the marquee fixture, and the Ivory Coast came from behind to beat Japan 2-1. Learn more about Costa Rica's huge upset and what it means for this tournament and potentially beyond. [SBNation Soccer]
- Today's biggest match-up sees one of the World Cup favorites (and my personal pick to win it all) Argentina against St. Louis' 2nd favorite team, Bosnia & Herzegovina. Gearing up for the game, thousands of Argentine fans took over Copacabana beach, some even calling it "Argentinian Woodstock." The two earlier games today are Switzerland-Ecuador and Honduras-France. [Soccerly]
- Wearing pants sucks, right? I think we can all agree (I may or may not be pants-less as I type this, you don't know). So when did humans first decide to make pants a thing? Well, archaeologists have recently unearthed the oldest pair of trousers known in existence, and they may shed some light on why we started in the first place. Science Saturday on a Sunday? You betchya! [Mental_Floss]
Tomorrow is Monday - send your All-American links to DonutKing!
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com