Life without hockey kinda blows, actually.
- I was pissed about the CSN Philly dumbfuck yesterday, so I completely whiffed on some ACTUAL Blues news yesterday . . . they've tabbed Chris Zimmerman (who, as far as I know, isn't related to Bob Dylan, whose real surname is also Zimmerman . . . yeah, no connection there, sorry, just had to bring it up) to basically be their next marketing director, naming him President and CEO of Business Operations. [Blues]
- Ryan Lambert takes one more shit on Shawn Thornton in a rare early-week Trending Topics piece. And as much as I love a good hockey fight . . . this is all pretty damn accurate. [Puck Daddy]
- Dale Weise was knocked for a loop in the Eastern Conference Finals, but apparently the Canadiens liked what they saw out of him otherwise, giving him a two-year extension. [Habs]
- You really need to read this eulogy tribute of the Kings by Fear the Fin. It is magnificent, start to finish. That's some good hatin'. [Puck Daddy]
- Speaking of Fear the Fin . . . a local report says that Drew Remenda is leaving the Sharks' broadcast booth as they will not renew his contract. I have long felt that Randy Hahn and Remenda have made the best American television crew . . . by far. So my reaction to this is . . . NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO . . . (S/T to CrossCheckRaise) [Fear the Fin]
- And also speaking of the Sharks . . . it's a critical time for them, and this offseason is massive. St. Louisan David Pollak, a Sharks beat writer, outlines some things on that end. [Working The Corners / SJ Mercury News]
- Jason Spezza apparently has a 10-team list of places he can choose not to be traded to. His list (that we know of now)? All of Canada (so, six teams right there), plus the Predators and Islanders . . . which leaves two teams. [Puck Daddy]
- The Red Wings want to extend Daniel Cleary and look to use their compliance buyout on Jordin Tootoo . . . well, shit, remember when everyone laughed at the Wings for signing him? For THAT much?! Guess we were right. Also, Cleary is distantly related to my fiancée. [MLive]
- Other buyouts . . . David Booth by the Canucks . . . [Puck Daddy]
- . . . and Sabres disaster Ville Leino, who managed to be outscored by fucking John Scott this year. [Puck Daddy]
- The owner of the Butte Cobras, the ones in suit of the coach that never coached for them in this article, also owns the Missoula Maulers, in another junior league. But this is something. [Montana Standard]
- The nagging complaint here is that the best Eastern Conference team could not advance past its' rival. But hey, let the Western Conference teams beat the shit out of each other, with a team not the "best" among them getting through. Sure, Greg, that's fair. Anyway, everything else was great about this Stanley Cup tournament. [Puck Daddy]
- Goddamnit, a Ron Wilson-led Penguins team would be . . . something. [Puck Daddy]
- The best match of the day was a 0-0 draw between Mexico and host Brazil. Cero a cero. [SB Nation]
- Russia, led by former England manager Fabio Capello, equalized late and took a 1-1 draw from South Korea. [BBC]
- Belguim, as expected, defeated Algeria 2-1, but it wasn't all easy. [SB Nation]
- This dude, a bit older than me, has nothing but great things to say about his boyhood idol, Tony Gwynn. A lot of these stories are making the round now after Gwynn's all-too-soon passing, but this might be the best, though perhaps the most typical of many Gwynn stories because the dude seemed to be WAY too nice and happy . . . which, obviously, is not a bad thing. [Deadspin]
- Another story making the rounds? This one . . . an Ohio boy found a man's mummified remains in the closet of a seemingly abandoned house. [Y! / AP]
39 facts about comedy:
In a quasi-related matter . . . I need to become an ordained Dudeist priest.
News? Links? Videos? Shit? Non-Shit? Send it:
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
And keep an eye out for Episode 45 of Beyond Checkerdome, featuring St. Louis Game Time's own Prospects Department, Brian Weidler, as we talk a lot about the upcoming NHL Entry Draft, a bit about current prospects and a bit about the end of the playoffs. It is, like Brian's pieces, VERY informative, so please tune in with us this afternoon!