Did anything happen while I was taking a week off, aside from my laptop being a gigantic asshole?
Oh, by the way . . . thank you, J-Mill, for covering the last week after I basically pissed away a whole weekend that you would've normally covered. Very much appreciated.
Onward to links!
- A crazy week in Blues land, but rminton618 gives us reason for a bit of optimism. (But let's all remember, no matter how many times we justify the signing, Steve Ott still blows.) [SLGT]
- Ian Cole is representing the United States in an exhibition series in Australia. Not only that . . . he's the Captain of the team! What the actual FUCK?! [SLGT]
- Tim and I recorded Episode 47 of Beyond Checkerdome yesterday, where we discussed everything that happened since after the draft. We also had the boys from the Blues Hockey Podcast on. It was a great recording, I thought. Should be coming your way Wednesday.
- The shootout is a horrible way to end a hockey game, but it's now a pretty essential skill because it IS used to end a hockey game. Anyway, here's the top five shootout moves from this summer's NHL development camps, according to Harrison Mooney. [Puck Daddy]
- Sad news . . . 32-year-old Russian minor league defenseman Artyom Sokolov passed away after suffering sunstroke while training for the next season. (This is literally the only English form of this piece of news I can find.) [Tumblr]
- Greg Wyshynski says the AHL has a more common sense reduction approach to the fighting "issue" (as it were). And if the aim is to reduce fighting, I do agree with him. [Puck Daddy]
- Here's Anze Kopitar eating breakfast out of the Stanley Cup and including his dog in the fun. I mean, fuck the Kings, but still . . . adorable. [Deadspin]
DEUTSCHLAND DEUTSCHLAND ÜBER ALLES WORLD CUP:
- DEUTSCHLAND! Germany takes the World Cup for the first time since 1990 (under the West Germany flag) with a 1-0 win over Argentina, winning on a lovely goal by Mario Götze in extra time. DEUTSCHLAND DEUTSCHLAND ÜBER ALLES! [CBS Sports Eye on the World Cup]
- After the match, Lukas Podolski became international football's selfie Jesus. [SB Nation / Lookit]
- They handed out awards afterward. No Americans won anything, which happens when you get knocked out in the Round of 16. Some well-deserved winners, though. [Pro Soccer Talk]
- Not particularly about the World Cup, but definitely about soccer . . . if you're in St. Louis and need a soccer fix, there are some things you can do. (S/T to J-Mill) [Riverfront Times]
- Oh for fuck's sake. Is this really needed? [StL Today]
- The Artist Formerly Known As Chad Ochocinco, Chad Johnson, is now playing in the CFL for the Montreal Alouettes. He scored his first touchdown for the Als on Friday, and to celebrate, he hugged the official, who was having Goddamn none of it. [Deadspin]
- I mean, it's legal . . . so apart from breaking company policy, I have no clue what he's publicly apologizing for, aside from boasting about how he scored some legal weed. [Y! / Reuters]
- How all 50 states got their names. Pretty cool history read. [mental_floss]
Not sure why this was sent to my attention now, but I fucking love this song. (S/T to Childhood Trauma):
"Windmill, windmill for the land . . . "
So yeah, I need to get back in the swing of this shit. Got some links or some videos? I'm all ears:
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com