Last year at this time, the Game Time War Machine was putting the finishing touches on our Jay McClement Awareness Campaign (known better as Silent Jay For Selke) and preparing for defenseman Erik Johnson to let the world know that there was a reason that he was the first overall pick in 2006. Tonight, both of those guys will be in the lineup, just playing for the other team.
Of course, as shocked as we were to see those guys traded out of St. Louis last winter, we have managed to get over it as it looks now to have the potential to be a very lopsided trade in the Blues favor. Alas, neither Kevin Shattenkirk nor Chris Stewart will play in Denver tonight.
The guys who will be playing are an interesting batch, and could give us a look at some storylines:
- Alex Pietrangelo and Kent Huskins will play together again. As Jeremy Rutherford tweeted earlier, Coach Payne thinks they have chemistry and could play together in the regular season.
- Captain David Backes suits up for the game tonight. All is well, townsfolk, all is well.
- Jake Allen starts in net, hoping to blow open the "Bishop or Elliott" goaltending discussion.
- Evgeny Grachev and Jonathan Cheechoo get to battle it out again tonight, those handicapping the race should note that the early lead belongs to Grachev. Stephen MacAuley is going again tonight, as well, and while he's definitely getting re-assigned soon, the youngster must be making a good impression on the staff.
- Only one Teej in uniform tonight; this one of the Hensick variety.
The Avs lost to Dallas last night 5-2 while the Blues were apparently stockpiling their allotment of preseason goals, losing 1-0 last night to Minnesota. The game starts at 8 pm and you can hear the Colorado broadcast online. The SBN Avalanche site is Mile High Hockey, which refers to the city, not their mental state (I believe).
This, of course, would be your world-famous GDT. Break off that rust and comment like this game matters.