Brian Elliott earned another shutout today in a 4-0 win over the Minnesota Wild. Earn might be a strong word.
I mean he had to play the entire game. He couldn't bring a lawn chair out and have a hurricane during the game. Maybe he could have. He might have allowed a goal. I doubt two. You see, the Blues outshot the Wild 34-13. He made 13 saves. Won't help the season save percentage, but the win was a nice one.
I've got bullets. I will throw them at you if you earn them.
- Barret Jackman scored his first goal in 151 games today. His last one came in Anaheim in 2010. That's a long time between goals. The slow-motion replay showed the puck flying on edge through the air as it headed towards the goal. It was kind of weird. Andy McDonald waved at the puck at the last second to deflect, but apparently the official scorer (goalie Mike McKenna's dad, by the way) probably felt bad for Jackman that he had the longest goal drought in the NHL.
- Ryan Reaves scored his first of the season. He weaved through traffic, skated to the net and showed some nice instincts pouncing on the puck and sweeping it in an open side.
- The game got chippy. Near the end, gutless Cal Clutterbuck (rhymes with clusterfuck) blatantly fell on Elliott. Then in a scrum where David Backes was surrounded by three Wild players, he took a crosscheck to the face and left the game holding his jaw. Hopefully he's ok.
- Looked like a fun game to attend with all the beads. And a giant blue bear wearing a Mardi Gras mask. No, that's not creepy at all. Probably the one day of the year where wearing no pants isn't frowned upon.
- The Blues are now 28-0-0 when scoring at least three goals. The last two games, they've outscored the opposition 9-1. Not too shabby.
The Blues are already headed to the airport for the rather brief flight up the length of the Land of Lincoln before a nice dinner and hopefully rest before playing at Chicago tomorrow morning. It's brunch start time of 11:30 a.m. No Blues players on Rush Street tonight.
Hopefully you haven't gotten hypothermia out in Soulard. Warm your fingers on your keyboard by leaving your take down below.