I totally get all the hate for Ed Olczyk. He's a Chicago guy. He's a Blackhawks broadcaster. He's a pretty blatant homer.
I totally get all the hate for Pierre McGuire. He's way too excitable about stupid shit. He's got some weird Sidney Crosby boner. He looks like he should be wearing a condom on his head . . . and, I believe, he has.
What I do NOT get is the hate for one Michael "Doc" Emrick. Dude is money as a play-by-play hockey broadcaster, and if he were doing more popular sports like football or baseball, he'd make the whole sports broadcasting profession jealous of him. He is no more of a homer toward any one team than is noticeable. I would pay money to hear this man read a grocery list. He's excellent, and I hope he calls several more Blues games as this season goes along. I'd like a lot of them to be in the playoffs.
Anyway, my two cents. You came here to click shit. I have shit for you to click. So let's get going, shall we?
- Alexander Steen has a nose for finishing big. He did so again last night, blasting one through Corey Crawford's five-hole late in the third for a 3-2 win. Fuck Chicago. RBR has the recap. [SLGT]
- Before the game, Robb presented some dataviz on how the Blues have scored by committee up to this point of the season . . . of course, noting the small sample size. [SLGT]
- Beyond Checkerdome, Episode 12. Reaves poppin' bottles, CCR taunting me with beer, two wins and other shit. [SLGT]
- Ackermania's Lighting The Lamp piece from last night's paper outlines several subjects, including the fact that the "Original Six" isn't really six. [SLGT]
- Last night's results, including the one from that game you might have heard about. (But also, the Flames beat the Canadiens and the Kings beat the Senators in overtime.) [NHL.com]
- Tonight's lineup. Ten games, none involving the Blues because, well, that already happened. [NHL.com]
- Craig Berube hasn't been head coach of the Flyers for more than a few days and he's already acting like an immature dick to the Philadelphia sports media. Getcha popcorn ready. [The 700 Level]
- Brad Stuart hit Rick Nash in the head, so he's gonna sit out three games to ponder why the fuck he did that. (I mean, just ask Teej, just hit him in the chest and he'll fall over. I mean, geez.) [Puck Daddy]
- Sergei Federov is coming back despite being older than fucking dirt, because the team he GM's has had a ton of injuries. His first game? Against Mike Keenan. That's kinda fitting. [Puck Daddy]
- Sean McIndoe ranks ten great players who spent their whole careers with one team. My favorite on this list? Jean Beliveau. He was amazing. I'm assuming Brian Sutter didn't miss the cut by too much. [Grantland]
- Speaking of the Canadiens . . . George Parros is improving, according to Marc Bergevin. Excellent news. [SB Nation]
- I still think Jimmy Howard is an average goaltender, but the mask he's wearing Saturday (scroll down to see it) is well above average. Fuck Detroit? Yes. Fuck Cancer? Yes, also. [Detroit Free Press]
- Not only did the Blues beat the Blackhawks, but the Cardinals beat the Pirates at that big baseball thing they have down the street . . . [SB Nation]
- . . . which makes this picture from our own Jeff Q. from after the games a bit more hilarious. Sad, sad panda. [Twitter / @HockeybuzzBlues]
- (But seriously . . . great season by the Pittsburgh Pirates. They're a really, REALLY good team, and if I didn't HAVE to hate them as a division rival, I wouldn't. Fun to watch.)
- Wanna cure a hangover? Drink Sprite. [Y! / The Sideshow]
- Some well-timed sports graphic GIFs. [Deadspin]
- Virginia Tech and Tennessee will play a game at Bristol Motor Speedway in 2016 and will probably bring in over 150,000 fans. But hey, don't bother paying the players or anything, the NCAA hates that shit. [SB Nation]
I wanted to put the whole highlight package on here, but I can't. So you get Steen's goal again. A solid compromise.
What a rocket.
So, I'd normally direct you to send your weekend shit to J-Mill, but he's going to be out of town this weekend, so I've got your weekend. Send me some shit!
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
Black the Fuckhawks.