For the second straight game, the Blues will be playing a former division rival that now resides in a different conference. The only difference: the Blue Jackets were in our division only 8 months ago, while the last time the Blues and Maple Leafs played a divisional game, Jaden Schwartz was less than a year old.
- First, a couple corrections from yesterday's links: Blue Jackets backup goalie and native St. Louisan Mike McKenna in fact did not start the BJs' game against the Rangers Thursday night as I said, he came on in relief after the first intermission, and also wasn't given credit for the win...which wouldn't have been his first NHL win either. With all of that out of the way, it's still worthy of attention that he'll be in net at the beginning of the game tonight when the Blues play in Columbus. [STLToday]
- Jaden Schwartz and Vladimir Sobotka have been working so hard in games lately that they got the day off in practice yesterday. By that logic, I imagine Patrik Berglund and Chris Stewart often find themselves held after for some extra rounds. (Though not lately, to be fair.) [STLToday]
- Tonight is the 3rd Annual St. Louis Classic, if you feel like watching tonight's game while freezing your ass off and skating around in circles. It all starts at 5 at Steinway skating rink in Forest Park. [Blues]
- Now that Jamal Mayers is done playing, he's been pretty solid learning the ropes as in broadcasting during Blues games. Oh and by the way, he retired from his playing career yesterday. I like to imagine that he left the official retirement paperwork on the kitchen counter in July and just kept forgetting to file it with the league offices until yesterday, because that would make me feel a lot better about my absentmindedness. Sticktap to CrossCheckRaise. [NHLPA]
KNOW YOUR ENEMY - THE COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS:
- Your SBNation BJs equivalent, check out The Cannon. I'm pretty sure their name isn't referring to the cannon mascot that looks like a cock with a mustache, but I like to pretend that it is anyway. [The Cannon]
- The BJs are all ready to trot out the lefty - McKenna. [Columbus Dispatch - Blue Jackets Xtra]
- The Panthers outlasted the Caps in a 10-round shootout, the Penguins knocked off the Devils, and the Canucks shut-out the guys who put 8 past the Avalanche. More specifics here. [NHL.com 12/13]
- 12 games on the docket today. Aside from us, the highlights include Pens-Wings, Wild-Avs, and Bruins-Canucks. [NHL.com 12/14]
- In addition to all of today's games, tonight is the debut of 24/7: Red Wings-Maple Leafs at 9:00 central (which, conveniently, should be around the time that the Blues-BJs game should be ending). It's not TV, it's HBO! Here are 24 things that Our Puck Father Who Art On Yahoo! Sports will be looking for this year...which is actually a lot of things, so it probably covers every possibility. Probably. [Puck Daddy]
- Earlier this week, Donut King linked a Ryan Lambert argument that he claimed to disagree with, to which I voiced my fierce agreement (with Lambert). So here's another Lambert piece, expressing dislike for the new playoff arrangements this year. This time, I'm going to have to disagree with him - so for dramatic symmetry, I'm going to have to assume that DK disagrees with me. Whatevs, here you go: [Puck Daddy]
- Air Hockey + Beer Pong = Eternal Happiness. This is officially the second greatest thing to ever come out of Canada, narrowly beating out insulin, the telephone, and instant mashed potatoes. [SBNation NHL]
- Don't be too proud of yourself, Canada. The ability to create the best drinking game on the planet is insignificant next to the power of USA Hockey - the American U-18 team will wear Darth Vader jerseys on January 18th in Ann Arbor. [SBNation NHL]
- Gary Bettman has been named the most influential and powerful person in hockey. Which is almost like saying Herbert Hoover was the most influential and powerful person in Depression-era America. [The Hockey News]
- Sleeping - you're doing it wrong. Or at least you would be if we didn't have any electricity. Before it came around, people would usually sleep earlier, wake up for a few hours, then go back to sleep for a few more hours. Which is actually how my fucked up sleep schedule has been lately - at least on days I don't link for you guys, then all bets are off. In any case, CCR earns himself another sticktap. [Disinformation]
- Have you ever wanted to play out your repressed sexual tension with your friends in a fun but probably awkward game, but your Twister mat had a tear in it? Fear not! The makers of Cards Against Humanity brings you: Clusterfuck! [Kotaku]
- You know what we all need? More Terminator movies. Okay, maybe not, but there's one bright spot: the iconic Sarah Connor will be played this time around by the Khaleesi herself, Emilia Clarke from Game of Thrones. DRACARYS! [Nerdist]
- For your Science Saturday: the entire universe may in fact just be a hologram. For real. Someone send this to Ilya Bryzgalov STAT! [Huff Post]
Time for your daily dose of philosophy, courtesy of "Sweet" Dee Reynolds. I'd say NSFW, but if you've ever seen It's Always Sunny, you'd know that. Also it's Saturday, so most of you probably aren't working...except me of course.
Luther Vandross demands that everyone gets under the mistletoe. But he's jamming out while he does it, so it doesn't seem too pushy.
Every time you send me a link, you get a sticktap. Collect enough sticktaps and you win a prize! I don't know how many you need, so you might want to just send me 3-4 every weekend just to be sure.
- jasonmcadams1120 AT gmail DOT com
What day is it? GAME DAY!!! *GRUNT!* Stop by throughout the day for previews, reviews, recaps, precaps, and whatever else pops up!