Later, I'll show you where I was last night. It involved hockey!
Oh. And I ain't here to talk about the Rams-Broncos game.
- The Blues play the Bruins tonight in Boston. If you're in the St. Louis area, you can either . . . 1) sit at home and watch the game like a loser or some shit, or . . . 2) join some of the best friends you (n)ever knew at a watch party at Cousin Hugo's in Maplewood! You always (ALWAYS) want to be #2 in this case. [SLGT]
- Our own Robb Tufts was on with (one of) the boys at Keeping Karlsson to talk about the Blues . . . the STL Line, the goaltending situation and what things will look like on the blue line as the season progresses. [Keeping Karlsson]
- Speaking of the STL Line . . . the L of the line, Jori Lehtera, was named the First Star of the Week by the NHL yesterday. Probably because he did a good job and shit. [NHL.com]
- Lehtera talked with Lou about adjusting to the North American game, Chris Butler was called up, the upcoming road trip and the impressive stat lines of Brian Elliott and Jake Allen are . . . well, impressive. Lou's got notes and stuff. [In The Slot / Lou Korac]
KNOW YOUR ENEMY--THE BOSTON BRUINS:
- As noted, the Blues are in Boston tonight to play the Bruins. For all your Bruins needs, check out Stanley Cup of Chowder . . . the managing editor is someone my wife and I are proud to call a friend and someone who also roots for the Blues when they're not playing the Bruins: Sarah Connors! [Stanley Cup of Chowder]
- Speaking of the Bruins, the wife and I saw this at the game we were at last night (more on that later). Adorable! [Twitter / @BluesMay]
- Only one game last night. Once again, the Rangers were hosting it. But this time, instead of the individual players getting embarrassed on one play, the whole team got embarrassed for sixty minutes by a whole roster. [NHL.com 11/17/14]
- Eleven games tonight. The first one? The Blues one. So yay. [NHL.com 11/18/14]
- The game I was at last night? At the Maverik Center in West Valley City, UT, just outside Salt Lake City. The Utah Grizzlies edged the Ontario Reign 1-0. For all intents and purposes, it was a terrible hockey game (41 shots on goal . . . total . . . it was like Barry Trotz cloned himself twice and put each incarnation on those benches). But the atmosphere was pretty good for an ECHL game. But dude, I tell you, that PA guy HAD to be on about a fuckton of cocaine. Anyway, I would probably go here again. [Salt Lake Tribune]
- What can the Blue Jackets possibly expect to salvage out of this season when they get healthy? Well, LIKELY not a playoff spot, but that's not entirely impossible, as notes Ryan Lambert in his What We Learned piece. [Puck Daddy]
- The Lasker Rink in Harlem--home of Ice Hockey in Harlem, a great reclamation project for the downtrodden neighborhood--was recently (and surprisingly) shut down for repairs. The players that play there now need a place to skate, and it's gonna cost them money. If you can help, please do so. [Color of Hockey]
- Reports on the condition of Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howe, had been good. However, his son Mark says his father is "definitely headed in the wrong direction". Damn. [USA Today]
- This is so cool . . . a Union College freshman hockey player who helped a New York Army National Guardsman and his father get out of a burning vehicle alive was honored with a medal before a recent game. [The Daily Gazette]
- Yesterday was Hockey Hall of Fame Induction Day. Josh Cooper looks at players inducted since 1997 and ranks them from top to bottom in order of of who he'd draft to start a new team today. Quite a few former Blues on this list, if you may recall. [Puck Daddy]
- The Wild(s) lifted its' suspension on goaltender Josh Harding, then placed him on waivers. Interesting. [Star-Tribune]
- Phil Kessel needs to be better to the media, says Greg Wyshynski. I disagree (because really, he's a grown-ass man and you, me and none of the media are his mother and if he wants to be the direct opposite of Brett Hull, whatever), but Greg does make some valid points here. [Puck Daddy]
- The SPHL (if you may recall, this is the league the Peoria Rivermen are part of now) will employ two female officials at a game between the Columbus Cottonmouths and Fayetteville FireAntz on Friday. [SPHL]
- Martin Brodeur swears he just wants to play and doesn't have an ego or anything. Yeah, I believe that. I also have a nice bridge in Brooklyn to sell him. [Puck Daddy]
- Dramatic changes may be coming to the World Cup of Hockey upon its' anticipated return. It may include a couple of "All-Star" teams. Which is very intriguing, actually. [Sportsnet]
- Flyers Captain Claude Giroux was determined to be "fine" after being evaluated by team medical personnel and, due to the eval, missing an event with Flyers season ticket holders. And no one knows what may have happened to cause the injury. Weird, eh? *coughCONCUSSIONcough* [CSN Philly]
- "Expansion? Jersey sponsorships? *FART NOISE* *BUT NOT REALLY*" -- Gary Bettman [CBS Sports Eye on Hockey]
- This week, "It's On Us". Learn what this movement is about. [SB Nation]
- Next time you want to bitch about the Ryan Miller trade and ask for Doug Armstrong's head on a plate, remember . . . there are other general managers of other sports franchises who are infinitely dumber than Doug Armstrong . . . or dumber than even the worst NHL general manager. [Deadspin]
- An NFL defensive back was arrested when, after realizing he had no cash, drunkenly tried to use gum as money. Whoops. [SB Nation]
- The lesson here: don't stay at CVS past its' normal closing time, I suppose. (S/T to Kate) [The Pitch]
So I got an email from the son of the guy who made Manos: The Hands of Fate, thanking me for bringing his father's movie to light. So that was pretty cool.
Not related but kinda sorta related, and with no theme set for the week (I already have one for next week, so be warned) . . . I decided to have a couple more MST3K clips to show you. This time, both skits!
First, I laughed the shit out of this . . . a joke by Ingmar Bergman . . . beware, it takes a while, but the payoff is excellent:
Told you so.
Then, the bots pick on Orville Redenbacher and his grandson:
Hey, if I made really Goddamn good popcorn, I'd be a crazy old man too.
Links? Videos? Other shit? You know what to do:
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
And we may (MAY) have Episode 61 of Beyond Checkerdome up a bit early this week! But maybe not. We'll see.