I know I have a shit-ton to be thankful for, despite the fact that I don't get to spend Thanksgivings with my family while I've exiled myself out west. Hopefully you folks have lots to be thankful for as well.
- As noted yesterday, I didn't stay awake long enough to link J-Mill's recap from Tuesday night. So here it is. [SLGT]
- And as noted in that recap but explained further . . . Blues goaltender Brian Elliott was lifted from the game with what appeared to be a knee injury, though obviously the team is just calling it a "Lower Body Injury". It's expected to keep him out week-to-week. [SLGT]
- So who are the Blues going to replace him on the roster with? Short-term, Jordan Binnington . . . but long-term? Martin Brodeur, it appears. Well, that's just fucking wonderful. Considering how Marty played last year, I think I'd like Jacques Plante's rotting corpse backing up Jake Allen more. No decision is expected until next week. [SLGT]
- Along with the Elliott and Brodeur news along with something on Jake Allen, Lou Korac tells of a skirmish between David Backes and Vladimir Tarasenko at yesterday's practice. Cooler heads prevailed, and it's rumored it started because Vladdy got his stick up high on Cap, near his mouth, where--if you recall--he has fresh stitches from Sunday. If that's the case, I can't blame him for being pissed. [In The Slot / Lou Korac]
- Games. Seven of them last night, and they all went final. Boy, Sharks, you wanna get your coach and GM fired, don't you? [NHL.com 11/26/14]
- I dunno if I'm crazy or what, but there always seems to be a game in Nashville on Thanksgiving, and it always seems to be the only game league-wide. And guess what? Here we go again. The Predators host the Oilers tonight. [NHL.com 11/27/14]
- Ryan Lambert takes on the parents of Jack Johnson, salutes, Milan Lucic, Ron Hextall's bewilderment that the Flyers are not that great, Buffalo's snowstorm, the Slava Voynov thing and Daniel Alfredsson in this weeks Power Rankings. [Puck Daddy]
- Lambert mentions Daniel Alfredsson because of this . . . he will be retiring on December 4th (that's next Thursday, for those without calendars) as a member of the Senators, likely in the form of a one-day contract. [Ottawa Sun]
- Stars forward Ryan Garbutt did something dumb (this time, whacking his knee into the knee of Taylor Hall), and therefore has a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety today. [USA Today]
- Adam Gretz wonders if the Devils and this roster have hit their ceiling with Phil Collins . . . errrrrrrr, Peter DeBoer (She'll get a hold on you, believe it) . . . as their coach. [CBS Sports Eye on Hockey]
- Does hitting lead to winning in the NHL? Jen LC dives into this subject in her weekly Puck Momalytics piece. [Puck Daddy]
- 5 NHL'ers who could draw trade notice . . . and two of them are recent Blues, Chris Stewart and David Perron . . . so, hey, leave the Blues and get traded again! [USA Today / For The Win]
- And speaking of Perron . . . it seems his days as an Oiler are down to LITERALLY days, that he could be going to the Blue Jackets and that it could be for Artem Anisimov, who is a center, which is something the Oilers kinda need (though a top defenseman would seem, y'know, to make MORE sense, if you ask me). [CBS Sports Eye on Hockey]
- In a spot of irony . . . Adam Lowry (son of former Blues forward Dave Lowry, by the way) blindsided Patrick Kaleta last night. SUPPOSED TO BE THE OTHER WAY AROUND, ADAM. [Puck Daddy]
- Gilles Tremblay, who was on four Cup-winning Canadiens teams and later spent a long time on French-speaking Canadian radio as a hockey analyst, passed yesterday at the age of 75. [Montreal Gazette]
- The Oshawa Generals overtook the Kelowna Rockets atop Buzzing the Net's Dynamic Dozen, a ranking of North America's major junior squads. [Y! / Buzzing the Net]
- Foodspin has a Thanksgiving cooking guide for you, fair reader. [Deadspin / Foodspin]
- If you're really old, you remember when every basketball player wore short shorts. Well, looks like this dude from St. John's University, Chris Obekpa, is trying to bring them back. Though he says it's a running thing. Which, yeah, it probably is. [SB Nation / Lookit]
- If CCR and I put a calendar out like this for Beyond Checkerdome, we would be SO fucked. [Y! / AP]
My favorite WKRP In Cincinnati episode is, undoubtedly, "Turkeys Away". Very prescient for a day like today. So here's the money scene:
"As God is my witness . . . I thought turkeys could fly."
So then, I find out some dipshits from Arkansas apparently did a turkey drop every year. Here was the scene one year (S/T to an anonymous tipster):
Goddamn, lady, the turkey is yours. Calm down.
OLD BEER SPOT VIDEOS:
Just because it's Thanksgiving and I've posted two videos doesn't mean I don't continue the weekly theme . . . old beer spots. And we go with a couple old Hamm's spots. Here's the first:
"Fresh from the land of . . . sky blue waters."
And here's the other:
I don't care what you say, that Hamm's bear creeps me the fuck out.
One more time around the linkosphere for me before the links weekend:
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
I swear we'll have a podcast for you this week. Some time.