- David Backes spent significant time at yesterday's practice on the right side of a line with Alexander Steen and Paul Stastny. Could Ken Hitchcock be planning to give Backes more ice time on the wing? "No, not really." ...oh. Okay then.... [STLToday]
- Attendance figures are disappointing in the early going, but once again the Blues are killing it in the local TV ratings - Thursday's game against the Devils was the 2nd highest rated Blues game in Fox Sports Midwest history. [Frozen Notes]
- If you subscribe to the print edition of St. Louis Game Time - and if you're reading this and you don't, then fye upon you - you could win free tickets to the Blues-Sabres game on Tuesday night. The Committed Indian wouldn't make you a deal like that (unless they would, in which case ignore this sentence)! [SLGT]
- A new episode of Beyond Checkerdome? Well, aren't we all just a bunch of lucky so-and-sos? [SLGT]
FUCK THESE GUYS - THE NASHVILLE PREDATORS:
- Tonight the Perds are in town, having reaped the benefits of David Poile's summer of collecting "misfits" to fill the Predators' roster. That, and a healthy Pekka Rinne. [On the Forecheck]
- How good have the Preds been so far this year? They're tied for the NHL lead in even strength goal differential. [The Tennessean]
- If you played last night, you most likely had a final score of 3-2. Who broke the trend? [NHL.com 11/7]
- 12 games on the schedule tonight, including Wild-Canadiens, Sharks-Stars, and a decent late night serving of Canucks-Kings. [NHL.com 11/8]
- The Capitals scored twice in the last minute of the 2nd period to beat the Blackhawks 3-2. [Second City Hockey]
- The Coyotes won their 3rd straight by defeating the Ducks 3-2 in the shootout. Three wins in a row? Awww, that's adorable... [Five for Howling]
- Some goalies are more prone to give up "soft goals" than others, right? Well maybe, but not nearly in the way you think. [Puck Daddy]
- The Kings are well known possession...well, ugh, kings...but why haven't they been able to maintain those figures so far this year? [Jewels from the Crown]
- The Hockey News takes a look at the NHL all-time leading scorers from some of the smallest countries to produce hockey players. Them not counting Owen Nolan as Irish is fine, as long as they admit that by their own standards, Brett Hull is American. [The Hockey News]
- Remember the Vancouver Green Men? They'll be retiring at the end of this season. [Puck Drunk Love]
- It's no secret that sooner or later, some sort of sponsorships will be appearing on NHL jerseys. What could some of the worst - or best - possibilities look like? The Columbus Blue Jackets, sponsored by the LA Kings is a good start. [Habs Eyes on the Prize]
OUTSIDE THE HOCKEY-SPHERE:
- Into the Woods is a popular musical that melds together several different fairy tales (and will have a movie version released this Christmas). Anyway, there's a cow that plays a big part of the show - sometimes played by a person, sometimes a built set piece, but when it comes to community theatre, it's almost always looks like either a possessed demon from the depths of hell or a demented mascot a sex offender might wear to the park. Or a paper mache pile of shit. These are some of the worst. [Low Budget Milky Whites]
- Jon Bois' Breaking Madden had one goal this week and one alone: get Mark Sanchez to the Super Bowl. It went beyond your greatest imagination! [SBNation]
- Who was the first player to have their jersey number retired in sports? Some of you history buffs might know already. [mental_floss]
Everyone keeps talking about this Birdman movie, and all I can think is "They made a Harvey Birdman movie?"
I guess now I have to make the weekend Adult Swim themed? Sure, why the fuck not?
This is a good Science Saturday to keep bookmarked for playoff season - how do beards grow?
Send me more things so that I will have more things to post tomorrow before I tell you to send me more things. It's a viscous cycle, but I can quit any time I want to, thank you very much!
- jasonmcadams1120 AT gmail DOT com
Go the game tonight if you can. Buy a St. Louis Game Time, whether you're there or not.