Yep, you read that right . . . late naps are great! Ugh.
- Sweden faces the Czech Republic in less than an hour in the second game of the first day of Olympic men's hockey competition. That means Patrik Berglund and Alexander Steen get to play the guys that were supposed to be Vladimir Sobotka's teammates. We have a GDT.
- This might be the greatest cookbook ever. Thanks Hildy! [SLGT]
- Robb has his own scoring system for the Olympic medal count, and it is excellent. [SLGT]
- The Blues are playing a preseason game at the Sprint Center in Kansas City next season against the Stars, with tickets to be on sale starting Friday. Get 'em while they last! (S/T to @D_Vilhelm) [Sprint Center]
- Blues goaltending coach Corey Hirsch, who played for Team Canada in 1994 and was famously burned by that epic Peter Forsberg shootout move, recalls the Lillehammer games 20 years later. (S/T to CrossCheckRaise) [Five For Howling]
- NHL.com has a scoreboard for the Olympics. Nice, guys. Well done. [NHL.com 02/12/14]
- Jonathan Quick will be in net when Team USA plays Slovakia tomorrow. [Twitter / @usahockey]
- Meanwhile, Carey Price will be in net when Canada plays Norway, while Roberto Luongo will get the nod in their second game against Austria. [Puck Daddy]
- Need a primer on international hockey rules versus NHL rules? Well, here's this. (S/T to CrossCheckRaise) [NESN]
- Puck Daddy's series of "Why (HOCKEY TEAM-PLAYING COUNTRY) Could Totally Medal" concludes with the United States, Slovakia and Slovenia. Russia later, apparently.
- And the obligatory predictions from Puck Daddy staff. Only Lambert picks America because Lambert IS America. [Puck Daddy]
- Canada rallies to beat Team USA in the big preliminary showdown everyone was waiting for in women's hockey. [SB Nation]
- The media has been telling everyone that this is Vladimir Putin's Olympics. But really, the stage is set for Alexander Ovechkin to shine. [Puck Daddy]
- Avalanche(s) defenseman (and old friend) Erik Johnson not only didn't make the Team USA roster, he got suspended two games for breaking a dude's hand. [NHL.com]
- Which Olympic hockey team should you root for? A handy flow chart. (S/T to CrossCheckRaise) [The Sporting News]
OTHER SHIT (AND CURLING UPDATE):
- MLB is apparently dropping their lawsuit against Biogenesis. Great timing, assholes! [SB Nation]
- A great show of sportsmanship between Canadian and Russian skiers. [SB Nation]
- The Canadian men's curling team lost to defending World Champions Sweden 7-6 and are playing Russia as I type. [CTV]
- Meanwhile, the Canadian women's curling team is undefeated after beating Great Britain this morning. Next for them is Denmark. [CTV]
- After losing to China for its' second straight loss, Team USA's men's curling team were able to beat Denmark 9-5. They'll face Great Britain next. [Pioneer Press]
- The American women's curling team continues their slide, now having lost four in a row after getting destroyed by Great Britain (which included an unprecedented "Seven Ender") and taking a loss to China. They face Japan next. [CBS Chicago]
A grainy video of Will Ferrell's SNL audition, which includes a precursor to his "GET OFF THE SHED" skits:
GET OFF THE GODDAMN SHED.
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
And again, check out the Czech Republic/Sweden GDT.