For the third straight game, the Blues blew a third period lead in a game in which they spent the majority of the evening outplaying their opponents.
The Blues have still collected 5 out of the last 6 possible points.
Hockey, ladies and gentlemen.
Oh, and I wasn't able to make the GTGT yesterday while Sarah Conners is in town because of my stupid job & my stupid obligations. Hope you guys had enough fun for me!
- I pretty much just told you what happened, but let Norm Sanders tell you again. [Belleville News-Democrat]
- The New English perspective comes from SCoC, and they seem to be okay with the results - especially with how their blueline played in Zdeno Chara's absence. [Stanley Cup of Chowder]
- I know what you're thinking: "Jason, I love the Blues, but I really wish I could create a LEGO scene with various Blues players, such as Chris Stewart, Jaden Schwartz, and Keith Aucoin." The only thing weirder than you having that thought is the fact that now you can do exactly that - even with fucking Keith Aucoin, who hasn't even dressed for a single Blues game this year. Sticktap to CrossCheckRaise. [OYO Sports]
- Barring any unfortunate events at today's Opening Ceremonies, T.J. Oshie's mother Tina can't wait to watch her son be a U.S. Olympian. Unfortunately, Coach Papa Oshie (a former part-time Game Time contributor - what ever happened with that, BTW?) won't be able to make it. Another sticktap to CrossCheckRaise. [The Herald of Everett, Washington]
- Speaking of the Olympics, Vegas apparently isn't too high on Team USA's chances at Gold, making them 4th favorites at 6/1, behind Canada (2/1), Russia (9/4), and Sweden (9/2). Honestly, I think that's pretty fair going in. You can also bet on Alexander Steen being the leading goalscorer of the tournament - so go do that and make a shit ton of rubles. [SLGT]
- On a more somber Olympic note, Jaroslav Halak and the Slovakian national team will be missing a key piece and beloved friend this month: Pavol Demitra. RIP 38. Hildy with the assist on this one. [Sportsnet]
- Your scores from last night. [NHL.com 2/6]
- 5 games tonight...I guess Rangers-Penguins is kind of an intriguing match up, right? I mean, it would be if it were 2011 anyway. Also, here's hoping Mike Smith pisses off Blackhawks fans again tonight. [NHL.com 2/7]
- Max Pacioretty had himself a bit of a night...not only did he notch a hat trick for the Habs, he was awarded not one, but TWO PENALTY SHOTS within two minutes of each other, AND he failed to convert either of them. Since he's only the second player in NHL history to be awarded two penalty shots in the same game, it's no surprise that he's the first player in NHL history to miss two penalty shots in the same period. The Canadiens won 5-2. [SBNation NHL]
- The Blackhawks traded a 4th round pick for two warm bodies from the Islanders last night. Specifically, for Peter Regin & Pierre-Marc Bouchard's warm bodies. Probably won't affect much of anything other than our list of people we irrationally hate, but it'll probably be the only noteworthy deal to get done before today's 2 pm CST pre-Olympic break deadline. [The Committed Indian]
- Dustin Brown. Enough said. Fuck that guy. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- Remember how the Phoenix Coyotes are planning on changing their name to the Arizona Coyotes next season? Well, there might be a small hiccup - some other dude might own the trademark for the name "Arizona Coyotes." It's all apart of his "master plan." [Puck Daddy]
- Sweden will be minus one Sedin, as Henrik Sedin has had to pull out due to rib issues. Here's an idea - just let Alexander Steen wear Henrik's jersey & a fake ginger beard. Maybe Daniel Sedin will just think Steener's his brother & he'll keep feeding him the puck! Then he'll lead the Olympics in scoring, & you'll win a bunch of money because you bet on that happening earlier in the links, remember? BRILLIANT! [Nucks Misconduct]
- Marcus Johansson of the Washington Capitals is reportedly set to take H. Sedin's place. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- Speaking of Olympic replacements, the most obvious news that Hockey Canada could announce next to naming P.K. Subban a permanent healthy scratch was divulged yesterday: Martin St. Louis will replace his teammate Steven Stamkos on Team Canada. [The Hockey News]
- Kris Letang has been out since January 27th with an unknown illness. We still don't know what exactly the Norris finalist is sick with, but they have told reporters that it "isn't believed to be life threatening." Which is obviously good, though it does raise more questions than it answers. [Pittsburgh Tribune Review]
- Yes, the Blues still have one more game before Sochi, but A) we can still look ahead with an official Olympic preview from Chris Peters on United States of Hockey, & B) that game is against a Canadian team anyway. So here's a preview of how America rules and how Canada and Russia will inevitably disappoint their millions of countrymen and will be ostracized in their home nations the rest of their lives because of it. Or maybe Sweden will win, who knows. [United States of Hockey]
- The newly finished Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge is set to open this weekend, with a special 6K run & cyclist race Saturday morning before the bridge opens for the public to tour at noon. It will be open to traffic on Sunday. And yes, the events will still happen despite the cold-as-balls weather. [MODot]
- I love nerdy-sports mash-ups. Especially these re-imaginings of every helmet in the NFL as a part of the Star Wars universe! Obviously the Rams (who, BTW, literally invented the idea of football helmet designs) have the best one. Go Ryloth Twi'leks! [Behance.net]
- In the lead up to Russia's time in the spotlight, the recently released Russian prisoners known as Pussy Riot were interviewed by Stephen Colbert earlier this week. It's a must see interview that's not only informative, but hilarious - even with a translator! [Vulture]
- A riverboat restaurant in Kentucky was getting some work done yesterday...until the workers had to suddenly stop when they noticed the restaurant was floating down stream, eventually hitting a bridge. [WCPO]
If this doesn't get you hyped up for Sochi, you're probably a dirty commie and/or an even dirtier Canadian.
Are you an aspiring filmmaker dreaming of having your film chosen for the Sundance Film Festival? Nick Offerman (aka, Ron Swanson) has the secret you need to know. In song form. NSFW.
You have something to share with the class? Then you better send it to me, mister/miss!
- jasonmcadams1120 AT gmail DOT com