*PROGRAMMING NOTE*: Today's game is a 12:00 noon faceoff central time. So let's get the link-clicking out of the way early so we can move on to the AM pre-game drinking, shall we?
- The Blues don't much care for all of you Negative Nancys out there, so they're blocking you out. Why not instead be a Positive Patricia? [STLToday]
- Lou has the expected lineups for this afternoon among other notes, such as Carlo Colaiacovo coming in to spell Ian Cole. [In the Slot]
- The Blues chances for the President's Trophy took a hit with last night's results, but we're still sitting at a a shade over 50% likely to nab it. Stick tap to Childhood Trauma, who reminded me of this site's existence by posting it in yesterday's comments. [Blues Playoff Chances]
- Hey, how's the rest of Conference III doing? Well, I'm glad I pretended that you asked! Have a look at the Round Table recaps of this week from around the Central. [III Communication]
KNOW YOUR ENEMY - THE PHILADELPHIA FLYERS:
- Fun fact: the last time the Blues played the Flyers, Davis Payne was still the head coach. Seriously. Anyway, Hildy helped reacquaint ourselves with our Philly-based SBN kin over at Broad Street Hockey by answering a few of their questions. And be sure to check out whatever else BSH throws up ahead of today's game - after all, we're both foul-mouthed, traditionally physical Class of '67 teams who know a thing or two about the bitter, seething hatred that consumes your very mortal being which can only come from your biggest rivals having won championships with fantastically skilled players while having their balls licked nightly by the supposedly objective national media outlets. Also, technically they still have Chris Pronger on their team...I think...actually, I'm not even sure he knows anymore. [Broad Street Hockey]
- Hitch thinks that the Bullies are going to be a tough draw come playoff time. They were pretty embarrassing early on, but behind a resurgent Claude Giroux they've really turned it on recently. They could be a darkhorse in the shitty, shitty East. [Philly.com]
- The aforementioned "hit" I said that the Blues President's Trophy chances took came from Boston's 2-0 win over the Avs last night, which was one of 4 games. It also, BTW, allowed the Bruins to be the first team to clinch a playoff spot. [NHL.com 3/21]
- 11 games today, including 5 matinees. Highlights for the nightcaps include Habs-Leafs, Rangers-Devils, and a Bruins-Coyotes game that could affect the Blues on a couple fronts. [NHL.com 3/22]
- The B's pulled even with the Note at 101 points atop the league, but we do still have a game in hand. Should it end even, however, the Bruins have 7 ROWs more to claim the first tie-breaker. Also, the Fuckhawks pulled to within 4 in Conference III, but we still hold 2 games in hand there. [NHL.com Standings]
- Look! A wild TEUVO appeared!! The Blackhawks got themselves a fancy new toy in the Finnish forward Teuvo Taraveinen. Welcome to North America, Teuvo - now kindly fuck right off back to hell! [Puck Daddy]
- Remember how I said yesterday that David Legwand would likely get a call from the league about his blatant butt-ending of Evgeni Malkin straight to the Charlie Browns? Well apparently all he'll be getting is a $5,000 fine. Which makes it official - as long as you have a spare $5K lying around, it's open game to cold cock someone straight to the jewels. Which brings me to my next point: anyone got a spare 5 grand I can borrow? [Pro Hockey Talk]
- It's the time of year where we all start talking about who'll win the Hart Trophy. But this year, the only question you should be asking is "How are we even debating giving it to someone other than Sidney Crosby?" Lambert makes the case that shouldn't even have to be made it's so obvious. [Puck Daddy]
- It's really hard to make a good Twitter debut. So how did every NHL team fare with their very first tweet? The Yotes win for unintentional comedy gold. [SBNation NHL]
- I can't stop watching this video: if you're going to be That Guy who bangs on the boards during play, you deserve to have the hit knock you over too. Seriously, it gets funnier every time! [Puck Daddy]
- I don't think it's really news to any of you guys, but sometimes some reminding is needed: St. Louis is a legitimately fantastic city. In fact, you probably take for granted just how great things we have here (assuming you are here). So as education for outsiders & doubters and a refresher for locals, here are 26 reasons why St. Louis is arguably America's best kept secret. [Huff Post]
- This week's Science Saturday is about as big as science can get. On Monday, a Harvard team announced their findings of evidence which proves the inflationary universe theory. In layman's terms - pending peer review - The Big Bang is no longer a "theory." Kind of a big deal. [Gizmodo]
- Watch as they inform two older physicists who founded the theory in the first place are told for the first time the news that decades of their life's work have lead to this - coolest non-hockey-thing you'll see all day! [Sploid]
Early game today so just one video.
Recently, it was announced that Marvel Studios decided to schedule the release of Captain America 3 for May 6th, 2016. It was news because that exact day is already the date set for DC's upcoming Batman vs Superman (you know, the one with Ben Affleck?) Now THERE'S a Wednesday Night Rivalry for you! It will most assuredly lead to thousands of nerd relationships to be torn apart - much like this:
Fun fact: when working at a Coldstone Creamery in high school, I once served Superfun Yeah Yeah Rocketship! ice cream. I don't remember what flavor he got, but he did get a dipped waffle bowl with sprinkles! I hope the maybe 3 of you who've heard of Superfun Yeah Yeah Rocketship! before today appreciated that ultimately lame story.
I'm sure you'd love to click some more links tomorrow, wouldn't you? Well, the more links you send me, the more links we all get to click - everybody wins!
- jasonmcadams1120 AT gmail DOT com
It's gameday, bitches!