But in the mean time, shall we click?
Yes. Yes we shall.
- Adam Cracknell & Chris Porter may have spent the bulk of the year as Chicago Wolves, but they both made damn good cases to stay in the lineup for game 2. Also in these notes: Thursday night was the 8th time in NHL history that a series began with a triple overtime game 1 - and in all 7 previous instances, the team that won that game won the series. [STLToday]
- What would have happened if Game 1 had kept going? Perhaps there would have been more balloons? Or Vladimir Tarasenko would have used his miraculous healing powers to help a fan in the 5th OT? The only way to find out would be to check out my piece from yesterday afternoon. [SLGT]
- Remember #RoyWatch? It all started when Grant hated the signing & said he'd only get 36 points, and that he'd donate money for any points above that. Turns out he was pretty damn close as Derek Roy only scored 37 points, though for the record, that was still far more than Stephen Weiss did, and the same as Vincent Lecavalier for less money & four fewer years...so technically that was the "best" UFA center signing last summer. In any case, some of us who pledged to join Grant decided to forget the "over 36 points" thing & just donate $37 instead. DoubleDuck wrote a fan post to encourage you to do the same thing. [SLGT Fanpost]
- Here a couple links I was emailed & forgot to link the last couple of days: first, on the topic of charity, the Blues are holding yet another postseason Beard-A-Thon. You're probably already growing your whiskers, so be sure to check this out for more information. Hildy earns herself a Sticktap. [Blues]
- Another is one 4everbluz sent in with some down on the farm news: Jake Allen has been awarded the Bastien Award for being the best goaltender in the AHL this year. [AHL.com]
- Later this morning, at 10 am, single game tickets for games 5 & 7 of this series go on sale. Fun fact: I've been to 3 Blues playoff games in my life: two were wins over the Blackhawks, and two were won in overtime by Alexander Steen. So basically what I'm saying is that you should buy me tickets. I'll wait. [Blues]
KNOW YOUR ENEMY - THE FUCKHAWKS:
- You know where to go: SCH & The Committed Indian. The are dozens and dozens of popular Blackhawks blogs in the hockey blogosphere...but you should probably just stick with those two.
- The Hawks are going to be on the attack in game 2. Because fucking duh. [Chicago Sun-Times]
- Joel Quenneville received a $25,000 fine for becoming The Internet's latest favorite GIF-machine. [Puck Daddy]
- The Red Wings and Bruins played to a stalemate for 58 1/2 minutes, until Pavel Datsyuk took matters into his own, sweet, magical hands to give (Fuck) Detroit a surprise 1-0 win in game one. [Winging It In Motown]
- Coach Q got a $25,000 fine for grabbing his own crotch...so what do you think Milan Lucic might get for spearing Danny DeKeyser right in the Charlie Browns from behind? Because that happened. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- The Habs took a 2-0 series lead on Tampa with a 4-1 thrashing of the Lightning. [Habs Eyes on the Prize]
- The Ducks held on to beat the Stars 3-2 to take a 2-0 series lead, despite getting their asses corsi'd to them, even accounting for score effects. Anaheim Calling didn't have a recap up at the time I checked (apparently west coast games are even too fucking late for west coasters), so here's the losing perspective. [Defending Big D]
- After our afternoon tilt, you'll also get to enjoy the second games of the Penguins-Blue Jackets and Wild-Avalanche series later tonight at 6 and 8:30 central respectively. [NHL.com 4/19]
- Since the Washington Capitals didn't make the playoffs, Alex Ovechkin will once again
thoroughly embarrassrepresent his country in the World Championships, the most useless international hockey tournament the IIHF still thinks matters. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- California hockey has come so far that fans of their teams no longer have to bitch at each other only at Battle of California - they get to do it in The Hockey News itself! [The Hockey News]
- Ryan Lambert thinks the new playoff format is ruining the Western Conference playoffs by forcing two of the four best teams to lose in the first round, while allowing two of the inferior Ducks-Avalanche-Wild-Stars foursome to advance in their place. Which is a valid point...until you realize that even if you had a 1-8 structure this year, you'd still get ANA-DAL and COL-MIN, with the only difference being SJ-CHI and (*gulp*) STL-LA. So you'd still lose 2 of the best 4 in the west, only without the blood rivalries. But don't let the fact that I just completely discredited his entire argument keep you from reading his Trending Topics. [Puck Daddy]
- Is that a drowning baby elephant? ELEPHANT AVENGERS...ASSEMBLE!!! [One Green Planet]
- John Brooks is a promising young American soccer player who plays as a defender in the German Bundesliga who could get a plane ticket to play in Brazil this summer. He recently had to miss a game last weekend while he recovered from getting a procedure done. That procedure? A "large-scale back tattoo." [Pro Soccer Talk]
- When you're in high school, asking a girl to go to prom can be a scary thing. Two ways to make it more nerve-wracking? A) If the girl is Miss America, & B) if you get suspended for asking her. Just ask this brave young soul: [KSDK]
An afternoon faceoff on a Saturday for a playoff game means that you're probably already pre-gaming, so you might not think it's an ideal learning atmosphere for this week's Science Saturday.
But what if I told you that you'll be learning about the science of beer?
That's what I thought. Class is in session:
Okay class. Your homework: send me some articles and/or videos to post tomorrow. The more you send, the more extra credit you can earn.
- jasonmcadams1120 AT gmail DOT com
Check back throughout the morning for previews and fun little what-nots. If you're going down to Scottrade, be sure to A) buy your St. Louis Game Time, B) tip your vendor, and C) guilt Brad into convincing him to keep printing papers next season. Also, there'll be a Game Time crew tailgate near John's Corner (in the parking lot just across the street from the arena) starting at around noon. I'd be there, but work sucks (I know).
A 2-0 series lead is a hell of a lot different than a 1-1 series. Let's do this shit.