clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Recap: Blues Rally to Defeat Hawks in Game 2

This afternoon took a dark vicious turn and would see the St. Louis Blues down a captain and a goal with five minutes remaining in regulation. The team would secure the win to take a 2-0 series lead over the Chicago Blackhawks.

Sad Kane is Sad...
Sad Kane is Sad...
Dilip Vishwanat

SB Nation 2014 NHL Playoff Bracket

Rd 1: Game II Recap

Today Blues fans were privy to having the first game on the docket for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. It was an early one;seriously I had to get up at noon. With the quick turnaround between games, many were questioning whether or not the Blues could sustain the momentum off of the thrilling game one triple overtime victory against the Chicago Blackhawks. The first period of play would answer such questions as the Blues came out strong. They would gain a key player on their top line, as TJ Oshie returned after missing game one. Blues fans were HIGH in excitement leading up to puck drop. The Blues were rockin’ and rollin’ against their division rival from the north. The Blues would take the lead early in the first period. At 7:08 Chris Porter would join the rush fresh off the bench and get Jordan Leopold’s rebound and take a slapper at an odd angle. Crawford would fail to make the save. 1-0 Blues.

The Blues would continue to hold oodles of puck possession time against the team from Shitcago. However, they would be responsible for four minor penalties throughout the period giving Chicago chances on the 4 on 4 as well as power play. The Hawks would fail to capitalize on any advantage and looked lackadaisical and down right sloppy. The Blues were a force to be reckoned with. Their goaltender Ryan Miller would make several key saves to keep the Hawks from gaining any traction off of a goal. Miller and the defense around him would look on point as the period progressed. It was an impressive display of hockey and one of the best first periods I have seen from the team all year.

As the period wound down the Blues continued to keep the Hawks towards the fringes of play and kept them from gaining any sort of momentum. With 2 seconds left in the first Kevin Shattenkirk would score as the Scottrade Center would explode. Jaden Schwartz would get his rebound on a last chance rush. He would take another shot on Crawford, but would again be stonewalled. The puck would find its way back to the point to Shatty would would rip it into the back of the net. 2-0 Blues!

The second period would kick off with the Blues on the power play for what seemed like days. The Hawks would take three consecutive penalties, starting at 1:42 when Patrick Kane would use his super secret power and gift from the Lord of Light to interfere with Maxim Lapierre. The period went penalty crazy from there. The Blues let off the gas halfway through the second period. Miller would do what he could to keep them in it, but could only go so far. At 17:25 Duncan Keith would catch Miller with a screen and rocket the puck from the point. 2-1 Blues.

The game would progress in tenacity as time began to tick away. As the period ended, tempers would flare up, players would get shoved, and words would be exchanged. The after-the-whistle shenanigans would result in matching 10 minute misconducts for Bryan Bickell and Steve Ott. Kevin Shattenkirk would end up with a roughing minor, giving the Blackhawks a power play for the start of the Third.

The Blues would struggle to get things going as the third period commenced. They were able to kill off the penalty that kicked off the period, but would fail to gain much traction on the resurgent Blackhawks. At 4:53, Fuckhead, Brent Seabrook would score for the Hawks. 2-2 Tie. A minute and a half later the Blues would fail to come together and take the lead back. At 6:39 Chicago would score and it seemed to be their game.

It began at 8:11 when a high sticking penalty would be awarded to Keith after he got his stick in Lappy's face. The Blues would take the power play but seemed to scramble as the Hawks broke up their play, easily killing off the man advantage. The Fuckhawks enemy dick head no. 2, Bryan Bickell would show off his best Dustin Brown impersonation by kneeing Vladimir Sobotka, at 13:55. Chicago started playing stupid and the Blues couldn't seem to find the sync to use the man advantage to get the tying goal.

Shit got real at 15:09. Enemy dick head no. 1, Brent Asswhipe Seabrook would put a high head hunting hit on the Blues Captain David Backes. Backes would crumple to the ice and not move as the maniacal dick head laughed while being pulled away by the linesmen. Steener would sling some obscenities and help hold his line mate up as he tried to get up off the ice and stand up for himself through the daze. The Blues trainer would help Steener keep the Cap balanced and prevent him from trying to go after Seabrook. Seabrook was awarded a 5 minute major for charging and a 10 minute game misconduct.

Backes would head off to the locker room and not return to the game. Needless to say he looked bad.

The Blues were PISSED. They were not going to go down without a fight and they sure as shit were not going to let the Hawks run their captain and get away with the win. They came out charging on their power play. It took them a little over 5 minutes to tie the game. At 19:53 Vladimir Tarasenko would fire a wrist shot through traffic and net himself another playoff goal. 3-3 tie.

For the second game in a row, the Blues would need overtime to win it. At 5:50 Barret Jackman would take a slapshot from just outside the circle, after getting a pass from Roman Polak. The puck would find its way into the back of the net as it trickled past Crawford. Blues WIN! The take a 2-0 series lead over the Blackhawks heading into Game 3 in Chicago.

Bluenotes from Twitter

Tweet of the Game