This could be a series-evener . . . or it could be the game that pushes the Blackhawks to the brink of elimination. Yeah, kinda big and stuff.
Oh, and check out the comments in the Game 3 recap. We have the banhammer ready. I won't spoil as to why, if you don't already know.
- Blame Ryan Miller for the Game 3 loss? You're dumb, and here's eleven reasons why, from Hildy. [SLGT]
- The Blues had a day off yesterday, but spoke about Game 3 and how they need to be just a bit better . . . also, which Ken Hitchcock offered no update on David Backes, who doesn't appear to be a Game 4 player . . . [In The Slot / Lou Korac]
- . . . which leads Hildy to wonder if, maybe, somehow, Backes plays in Game 4. I guess we'll see. He hasn't TECHNICALLY been ruled out. [SLGT]
KNOW YOUR ENEMY--THE CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS:
- You know 'em by now . . . The Committed Indian . . . [The Committed Indian]
- . . . Second City Hockey . . . [Second City Hockey]
- . . . and Cheer The Anthem. [Cheer the Anthem]
- The Canadiens finished their sweep of the Lightning(s) with a late Max Pacioretty power play tally. If I had to pick an MVP of the series, it would have to be Ben Bishop, who didn't play a Goddamn minute for the Bolts. [Eyes on the Prize]
- The Rangers retook home ice with a 4-1 victory over the Flyers, who are still without Steve Mason . . . Daniel Carcillo is still a shithead, but he's a shithead that scored a goal against his former team. [Blueshirt Banter]
- Here's Carcillo being a dick about scoring his goal in front of his former team's home fans . . . and some douche-looking fuck in a Claude Giroux sweater flipping him off. Not sure which one I want to punch more, honestly. And considering we're talking about Carcillo here, that's . . . saying a lot. [Deadspin]
- The Bruins also retook THEIR home ice advantage, suffocating the Red Wings and topping them 3-0 at The Toolbag. [Stanley Cup of Chowder]
- During the National Anthem, some enterprising (READ: fucking stupid) Red Wings fan--looking to carry on the "tradition" of throwing an octopus on the ice before a Wings playoff game--almost struck Tuukka Rask with said cephalopod. I wasn't aware "tradition" also had to mean "obvious occupational safety hazard", but hey, here we are. [SB Nation]
- With MAJOR help from Vyacheslav Voynov, Patrick Marleau scored the overtime winner to give the Sharks a 4-3 victory and a commanding 3-0 series lead over the Kings . . . for those scoring at home, the Kings have allowed 17 goals in 3(+) games. That . . . is not good, if you're the Kings. [San Jose Mercury News]
- Aside from tonight's Game 4 in Chicago, you also have Game 4's in Columbus and Dallas. It's a great night to be a current or former Central Division member. [NHL.com 04/23/14]
- The big news from Monday's Avalanche(s)-Wild(s) game, aside from Mikael Granlund's insane OT goal (the one and only marker of the game) to win it . . . Matt Cooke taking out Tyson Barrie's knee, knocking Barrie out for 4-6 weeks and perhaps ending Cooke's season after his in-person meeting with the Department of Player Safety. Which leads to some heavy pieces on Cooke. This one from Wysh is pretty solid. [Puck Daddy]
- Apparently, there's a high school in Minnesota who wants to have a guy who described Mike Rupp's high hit on T.J. Oshie (which, as you recall, he was suspended four games for) as retribution for the Blues wanting to "send a message" to the Wild(s) . . . as their head hockey coach. Outstanding. Again . . . Brad Bombardir wasn't available? WES FUCKING WALZ? [Woodbury Bulletin]
- Before scoring the game-tying goal in last night's game, Tomas Hertl discovered Dave & Buster's for the first time . . . and won a couple Minions and a Ninja
HertlTurtle (Raphael . . . solid pick-up). Good for him. [Puck Daddy]
- The top 20 most-Googled NHL players list includes a lot of names you've heard of . . . and of course, Oshie is third. Because America, Goddamnit. [On the Forecheck]
- New York City FC hasn't even played an MLS game and is already dropping hints that their stadium situation isn't exactly optimal and that they could leave town. This is what teams do now, man. [Deadspin]
- Well, I guess that's ONE way to score a cheap flight to Hawaii. [Y! / Reuters]
Les Habitants do pre-game festivities quite well. Here's their sequence from Game 3, which is basically totally badass from the banner-flashing on forward:
HE LIT THE WHOLE FUCKING BUILDING ON FIRE. WITH ICE. SWEET!
So hey, I'm actually doing a full week of links this week! I know, shocking, right? Anyway, send your stuff to me:
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
Beyond Checkerdome Episode 40 goes "live" later today. It's another long one, so download and settle in this afternoon.
And remember, tonight's game is at 8:30pm CDT. NBCSN nationally, FSMW locally, Y98 on your radio dial (or on the web). You know what to do.
LET'S GO BLUES.