You can't mark Cristiano Ronaldo for 90 minutes without having a good, balanced breakfast! And for all you know, these links are about of a balanced breakfast!
- If the Blues don't enter the trade market for a center, which UFA basket should they put their eggs in: Paul Stastny or Brad Richards? [SLGT]
- Remember that time I promised you the final rankings for our Postseason Bracket Contest? (...no, not that time, the other time.) Well, here they are! Congratulations to our winners! Follow the instructions to claim your prize.[SLGT]
- The league announced the every team's home opener for the 2014-15 season yesterday: the Blues will begin their campaign on Thursday, October 9th against the reigning Eastern champions, the New York Rangers. [Frozen Notes]
- The Blues aren't worried about their UFA hitting the market. Seeing as that list includes Steve Ott, Brendan Morrow, Derek Roy, Carlo Colaiacovo, and Ryan Miller, I'm not worried either. I just hope no one bird-dogs our RFAs (specifically, Jaden Schwartz, who I'd offer sheet in a heart beat if I were another team). [STLToday]
- The Florida Panthers have hired Gerard Gallant as their new head coach. [Litter Box Cats]
- Panthers talented young whipper-snapper Jonathan Huberdeau is pretty pumped about the hire, since Gallant led Huberdeau's QMJHL squad to 2 Memorial Cup titles. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- It seems their constant whining about it may have worked: although they won't this coming season, the Minnesota Wild will almost assuredly host an outdoor game in 2015-16. The same year as when the Avalanche are due to host one as well, both of which could be possibilities for the Winter Classic proper, plus possible games the Blues could be in. Start saving now, folks. Just in case. [Minnesota Star Tribune]
- It's that time again...for the team who's being forced to trade a star by his own demands (in this case, Spezza & the Senators) to make it all look like he's doing it for selfless, honest reasons, theoretically upping his value by painting him as a team-first guy. Said script will flip the moment the trade goes through. [Puck Daddy]
- Tomorrow, the 2014 Hockey Hall of Fame class will be announced. I talked the other day about how Hasek, Forsberg, & likely Modano will be going in on the first ballot, but the big question - as it has been the last 5 years: Will Eric Lindros finally hear his name called? (Also, how the fuck has Phil Housley been waiting for 8 years?) [The Hockey News]
ANTI-BOSNIAN CONSPIRACY WORLD CUP
- Yesterday in Brazil, the USA' fellow Group of Death members Germany and Ghana battled to a fantastically exciting 2-2 draw. While a win by Die Mannschaft would've been better for the US, the result means that a win over Cristiano Ronaldo & Co. today will see us through to the next round. What else does it mean for the Yanks? I... [SBNation World Cup]
Elsewhere, heavy favorites Argentina were nearly held to a 0-0 tie by freaking Iran...until Lionel Messi remembered that he's the Lionel Messi of soccer and did something brilliant. It would've been an epic outcome for Iran. Then later, St. Louis' 2nd favorite team, Bosnia-Herzegovina, were eliminated from the tournament by
a godawful offside callNigeria in a 1-0 loss. But seriously, it wasn't even close to offside. I BELIEVE... [ARGvsIRN; NGAvsBIH]
- There are technically three games today, including a Belgium-Russia match that should be entertaining, but fuck that. We all know the main event. United States-Portugal today at 5:00 on ESPN. Here's your main preview. I BELIEVE THAT... [The Yanks Are Coming]
- Have you lived up to your full 'Murikan-ness? This man has been doing his job the last week in a Stars & Stripes full body suit. His job is anchoring the live sports coverage on local news broadcasts in Denver. Get on his level! I BELIEVE THAT WE... [Dirty Tackle]
- If you were to ask virtually any soccer fan in Europe or South America, they'd probably tell you that aside from Oceania, the weakest region in the world is CONCACAF (for the uninitiated, that's North America, Central America, & the Caribbean). But so far, the 4 CONCACAF nations have combined for a 4-2-1 record, with the 2 losses both by Honduras. Where did that come from? I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! [Soccerly.com]
Have some freedom for breakfast!
America? Fuck yeah.
We may have fought a revolution so we wouldn't have to bow before a King, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't send some internet links or videos to one...providing he's the King of some sort of pastry, that is.
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
You might be fully distracted by The Rocket's Red Glare today, but don't forget - not only is today Prospect Sunday, it's the last Prospect Sunday before the NHL Draft next weekend! Don't miss anything Brian has worked his ass off bringing you!