The Kings came back from a two-goal deficit to win? In a related story, water is wet, The Pope is Catholic, and gluten allergies are bullshit.
- No news is good news, right?
- Those Assholes Out West took a 2-0 series lead over New York, thanks to a 2nd OT tip by Dustin Brown, aka, The Biggest Asshole Out West. [Jewels from the Crown]
- Yeah, the Rangers aren't going to regret four different 2-goal leads in the first 2 games to the Kings at all, are they? [Blueshirt Banter]
- Before the Penguins hired Jim Rutherford as their new GM, they interviewed several candidates, including Pierre McGuire. In fact, Pierre was convinced that the job was his to lose. [Puck Daddy]
- Although the Sharks would be absolutely crazy to do it, reports say that the Maple Leafs are testing the waters on trading for Joe Thornton, as are six other teams. If the Blues aren't one of those six, then I might have to re-think my opposition to the "Fire Doug Armstrong" movement. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- What might Jumbo Joe fetch in a trade? FtF takes a look at several different possibilities on what Thornton or Patrick Marleau could be worth. One suggestion they throw out there: Thornton to the Blues for Ty Rattie, Joel Edmunson, and a 1st. I'd understand being leery, but if you don't think that'd be a steal you're fooling yourself. Or you don't realize just how good Joe Thornton still is. [Fear the Fin]
- Speaking of trade rumors involving star centers in the West, Ryan Kesler sounds like he still wants out of Vancouver. NM takes a look at that, plus some candidates for the Canucks' coaching vacancy. [Nucks Misconduct]
- Tonight is game 1 of the Calder Cup Finals, as the Texas Stars (Dallas Stars) host the St. John's IceCaps (Winnipeg Jets). DK said he's pulling for the Caps, since he's marrying a Newfie, which is probably a safe choice for him. Unfortunately, as a native-born Texan, I'm going to have to take the other side. Either way though, here's a great info chart to dive into the teams' numbers. [The Hockey News]
- Calvin & Hobbes creator Bill Watterson, infamously the JD Salinger of comic strips, recently did a secret cartoonist cameo in the daily newspaper strip Pearls Before Swine without anyone knowing about it. How freaking cool is that? [Blog O' Stephan Pastis]
- For the first time ever, the United States will go into the World Cup on a three game winning streak, after a surprisingly comfortable 2-1 win over Nigeria yesterday. Jozy Altidore scored both goals, his first for club or country since December 4th. [Stars and Stripes FC]
- Pete Rose will manage a baseball team again. Because it's that time of year when Pete Rose forces his way back into the public eye. [Deadspin]
Tonight on CBS is the 68th Annual Antoinette Perry Awards, aka the Tonys (which I'm guessing is why there were 2 days between games 1 and 2 of the Cup Finals - otherwise, game 3 would be tonight just blocks away). I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the Tonys and Game Time audiences, but that doesn't dull my excitement at all! But in the end, this is me pretty much every year.
It'll be hosted by Hugh Jackman, which is the next best thing to Neil Patrick Harris' hosting brilliance. While you will get to see NPH perform tonight (though probably not how you're used to seeing him), here's hoping they both get together and do this again:
DonutKing returns tomorrow. Since you can't send him a Tony for Best Original Score of a Musical (this is Jason Robert Brown's year), send him links & videos instead.
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
It's also Prospect Sunday! Come & check out Brian's fantastic work, possibly on how I'm wrong about Rattie & Edmunson for Joe Thornton being a brilliant trade for the Blues. (I'm not wrong, but I welcome the dissent.)