Do yourself a favor and look up the #BetterNFLCommish hashtag on Twitter. It'll be worth your while. More on WHY that came up . . . later.
- There was an NHL warm-up event in New York and T.J. Oshie was there, but for the life of me I can't find a damn link to it. Maybe tomorrow. Otherwise, Jack and Shit are going on in Blues land . . . and Jack just boarded his plane at Lambert.
- Giving veterans PTO's is good business and not a guarantee for the player . . . so they're really not that big a deal, writes Ryan Lambert in this week's What We Learned. #NoShit [Puck Daddy]
- Speaking of PTO's . . . Ryan Malone is getting one from the Rangers, apparently. Hope he leaves the vial behind this time. [New York Post]
- The Sharks preview in Emoji's should be just a bunch of sad faces, right? Well, you get to find out for real! [Puck Daddy]
- Apparently, the Maple Leafs Fan Fest was a shitshow. Jeffler has more. [The Leafs Nation]
- Speaking of Toronto . . . an expansion franchise in Toronto could carry a fee of over a billion dollars. A BILLION. [TSN]
- In a slight follow-up to a link from yesterday . . . let's look back at when Barry Levenson owned the Thrashers and ran a marketing campaign headed largely by race. [Puck Daddy]
- The latest to possibly use the KHL as leverage against an RFA deal? Darcy Kuemper of the Wild(s). Bet there will be no Blues fans to call him a selfish prick, a-la the Vladimir Sobotka situation. But I digress. [CBS Sports Eye on Hockey]
- Speaking of goaltenders . . . Ryan Miller and Eddie Lack seem to be a righteous pecking order for the Canucks this season. But what happens if Lack outplays Miller (and, if Miller plays like he did in St. Louis, that is entirely possible)? [Pass It To Bulis]
- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell had previously said he had all the evidence he needed on Ray Rice. Now he's saying he never saw the video of Ray Rice punching (and knocking out) his then-fiancee (now wife) before he suspended him for two games. Then, TMZ posts said video. The Ravens released Rice, then the league suspended him indefinitely. Someone be lyin'. I believe that person would be Roger Goodell. Here's SBN's full coverage on the matter, and it appears to be quite fucking disgusting. [SB Nation]
- Speaking of the NFL . . . here's why their stadiums age quicker than the home stadiums of other sports. (HINT: It's because their owners are greedy fucks, basically . . . which is disguised in this piece as "maximizing revenue".) (S/T to @akmark78) [CNN Money]
- You may have never heard of Guilder Rodriguez . . . probably because he's 31 years old, plays baseball and has spent his whole career in the minors up to now. Well . . . the Texas Rangers called him up recently after nearly 1,100 minor league games without a call-up, and that's awesome. Here's a good story about it. (S/T again to @akmark78) [Big League Stew]
A couple today . . . first, the theme song from Duck Tales . . . WITH REAL DUCKS. (S/T to @hmilfeld):
DUCK TALES! WOOO-OOOOH.
Next, watch a rubbery robot get run over by a truck and slide over an open flame and crawl through snow. BADASS GUMBY. (S/T one more time to @akmark78):
You people are stepping up your game. I am happy with this development. Contribute more? Of course you want to:
- gtdonutking AT gmail DOT com
New episode of Beyond Checkerdome coming soon. Listen in!