Sorry about the lack of links lately. J-Mill's laptop has the "About To Die Flu" and BluesMay and I will be taking over links duty until he can get that all straightened out.
So, quite a bit to catch up on.
- David Backes scored four goals for the second time in his career and the Blues absolutely eviscerated the Coyotes 6-0 to complete a western swing split. Some dipshit recapped the thing. [SLGT]
- Five for Howling . . . well . . . didn't see the game the same way, obviously. [Five for Howling]
- Before the game, Ty Rattie was named to the Western Conference roster of the AHL All-Star Game. Good for him. All-Star Games are still the Goddamn worst, by the way. [SLGT FanShots]
- Know who's worried? Well, not Doug Armstrong. [SLGT]
- Because of a lack of links lately, we've missed Prospect Sunday, where Brian delivers a PLETHORA of information on the Blues' deep prospects bed. [SLGT; SLGT; SLGT; SLGT]
- Ten games last night. Only one gave you a boner, presumably. [NHL.com 01/06/15]
- Four games tonight. Penguins-Bruins? Rangers-Ducks? For Wednesday Night Rivalry? Fuck off. [NHL.com 01/07/15]
- The Maple Leafs have burnt Randy Carlyle to a crisp. Carlyle was relieved of his duties yesterday. [Pension Plan Puppets]
- During Episode 68 of Beyond Checkerdome, we mentioned a bit about the Under-18 Women's Junior Hockey Championships in Buffalo. Team USA's Captain for that team? Jincy Dunne, from O'Fallon, MO. CrossCheckRaise shares a few links on her. [USA Hockey; Buffalo News; USA Hockey]
- You may have seen this the other day but . . . Derek Roy fucked up a 2-on-0. Because he's Derek Roy, and that's the most Derek Roy thing ever, as notes HallPlante, who gets the stick-tap here. [Puck Daddy]
- Lightning(s) young defenseman Radko Gudas is slated to miss a minimum of four months (basically, the rest of the season) after having knee surgery. A tough blow to the Bolts. [Tampa Bay Times]
- Devils forward Patrik Elias reached 1,000 points last night. That's pretty damn cool. [USA Today]
- While his old colleague, Randy Carlyle, gets canned . . . Brian Burke and an NHL agent friend are starting a hockey-centric MBA program at a Calgary-area college. Eat THAT, Leafs! (S/T again to CrossCheckRaise) [Sportsnet]
- An unreal save by Pekka Rinne, who has been having a dynamite season for the Predators to this point. [CBS Sports Eye on Hockey]
- The Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum, which will be abandoned by the Islanders after this season, is still awesome. [The Hockey Writers]
- Rumors about Jack Eichel, the Hockey East race and a solid WCHA are Ryan Lambert's topics in this week's NCAA Hockey 101. [Puck Daddy]
FINAL 2015 IIHF WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS POST:
- Canada defeated Russia 5-4 to win gold at the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championships on Monday night, marking the first time the "True North" have won the honor since 2009. Barry O hadn't been inaugurated yet at that moment. That's quite a while for a country who claims hockey is "Our Sport". [National Post]
- In the bronze medal match, Slovakia upset Sweden. [NHL.com]
- Your Baseball Hall of Fame Class of 2015: Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz and Craig Biggio. All very deserving. Congratulations on immortality, gentlemen. [Y! Sports / AP]
- 0.1 seconds left in an NBA game with a one-point lead? Stan Van Gundy tells his Pistons team to " . . . form a fucking wall . . . ", which is a damn good strategy. [Deadspin / Screengrabber]
- What was found in a 220-year-old time capsule? I could tell them, maybe, as the damn thing is only slightly younger than me. #TylerIsOld [Y! / Reuters]
My wife and I recently listened to an archived episode of the Nerdist podcast featuring an interview with Tom Hanks. During this interview (which you should TOTALLY listen to, if you haven't, holy shit it's great), he mentions a Willie Mays PSA from WAY back that he and his brother used to "reenact" with each other as kind of a joke . . . it was about blasting caps. Watch:
"Now, don't touch them!"
Alright. So as noted, J-Mill will be out until he can get his new laptop. The current schedule has my lovely bride, BluesMay, up tomorrow and for the next four nights. So send her the love:
- ncismay87 AT gmail DOT com
And we'll have Episode 68 of Beyond Checkerdome ready for you soon . . . hopefully, today!