As I slurp the second(of seven) cup of coffee and have Rescue Bots(poor man's Transformers) providing my background soundtrack, I'll fire off some tasty high noon bullets on those Rogues in royal Blue, the Zig Zagging Note team. The Blues.
- Jake Allen getting snubbed for the All Star Game is bullshit. Pekka Rinne(hometown bias or not), is ranked 21st in goals against average and 35th in save percentage. Devan Dubnyk isn't having a much better season than Allen, neither is golden boy Jonathan Quick. Allen is second in the league and shutouts with 5. Allen has faced the 11th most shots in the NHL, so it isn't like he is having a tea party in his own end for half the game. It's disappointing to see the voters disregard a fine young talent and arguably the top goalie in the Central Division. Alas, the 25 year old gets some rest that week.
- While he won't return with a superhero cape attached to his back, Jaden Schwartz can boost this offense when he returns in the coming weeks. He is skating again and can't be too far away. His return should also call for the cease fire on the Magnus Paajarvi top three line experiment. Please. Unlike MP, Schwartz can score, create plays and doesn't mind going to the corners and getting dirty. Please, pretty fucking please with sugar on top, trim the fat Hitch.
- Is Dmitri Jaskin trade bait? Since Patrik Berglund(who I call an older Jaskin) has the big contract and older body, does Jaskin project along with Ty Rattie as a trade prospect if Doug Armstrong does pick up the phone and call Tampa Bay. Jaskin woke up recently but Hitch is content on burying him on subpar or shitty lines. He could have some value if you were going to bring in anybody of substance. Jori Lehtera could also be a name worth shopping?
- Vladimir Tarasenko was a lock for the All Star Game, but it is unfortunate Kevin Shattenkirk missed all time. His return and boost to the power play unit of the Blues deserves some attention. And who doesn't like the Shatty comedy at the festivities. Alex Steen was an outside contender(once again, underappreciated) but 91 was the only clear forward to be picked.
- While I'd like Hitch canned and Armie sent packing with him, I doubt anything happens before the end of the season unless the Blues tank big time. Like fall out of the top 6 West teams dive. Leaders still have leverage, even if they lack answers.
- I loved the quote from Hitch where he talked about the team could use a few points to boost morale. Well, NO SHIT coach. A few points. A few wins. Those things always take away the hard questions from the media. The man is running out of material. I'd like some candid quips like, "Who fucking knows?" or "Let me bake some brownies first and dabble some St. Johns Wart on top".
- Oh there is this update too about tonight's game in Colorado from The STL PD's Jeremy Rutherford-
#stlblues lines Steen-Stastny-Brouwer Fabbri-Lehtera-Tarasenko Berglund-Backes-Paajarvi Jaskin-Brodziak-Reaves— Jeremy Rutherford (@jprutherford) January 6, 2016
1) Why the hell is Troy Brouwer on the top line? He scored a goal Monday. Great. Doesn't mean he needs to be on a line with Paul Stastny and Alex Steen.
2) Someone get David Backes out of purgatory playing with Paajarvi and Bergund.
3) Jaskin won't improve at all with Kyle Brodziak and Reaves? How is that utilizing talent?
If this is blowing up lines, take the dynamite away from Hitch right now.
Why not put Steen, Tarasenko and Stastny back together? Put Backes with Fabbri and Lehtera perhaps? This is why Schwartz needs to come back. Things just get cleaned up. Brodziak doesn't give me much hope over Scottie Upshall.
What else? Win boys. No one likes a four game losing streak. The Blackhawks and Kings jumped ahead of the Blues in the West and The Wild are just two points back. To be honest, I don't care where the Blues end up in the final playoff seeds. If they are 7th or 8th, I'll take it. Home ice advantage hasn't seemed to help them these past few years so maybe a lower seed will put some extra bite in them. I'm just saying extended losing streaks kind of stink. The Blues have lost 4 of 5 and three in a row.
Start the road trip off right and get the good times rolling.